Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Congress announces stimulus to cabinet saw sales

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080124/...Ds4olgTY0E1vAI

Single, $600. Married, $1200. Each kid, add $300. So for a Sawstop you'll need about four point something kids and a very understanding wife.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

So we see it on next years taxes, or do they take less in payroll taxes, etc?

They never post the actual wanted "how soon can I upgrade" question.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

"Hhhhmmm" (he thinks while rubbing chin).....six kids here!...
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Yet another benefit, of something I talked about LONG time ago. Get married to a mail order bride and LEAVE her in her country..........

You get tax and insurance benefits, and it is hard for her to nag you.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Nothing there for me. I didn't make over $3,000.00 last year.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            Sounds like they'll be mailing checks in May. Cash it quick, just in case.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              You'll see it on next year's taxes, just like they did in 2002. The "rebate" will count towards your total income. Either think of it as either a loan that gets repaid, or an advance on your 2009 tax refund. For some, it will actually be adding to your 2009 tax burden and could push you from one tax bracket to the next.
              So don't worry, the IRS will get theirs.

Comment

• DonHo
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                • Craftsman 21829

As I understood it, they will be mailing out checks as they did a few years ago. They want you to spend the money to help stimulate the economy. It hasn't passed yet the agreement is only in the house so don't rush out and buy on credit in hopes of getting the money anyways soon, remember government is in charge of this and they aren't exactly known for being quick about things

DonHo

BTW, even those who didn't make enough to pay taxes will recieve $300 if they earned as much as $3000. Don't know where that leaves those of us who are retired. If we have to pay tax on our retirement but don't get whatever they get around to paying, I for one am gonna be pi$$ed at them but I usually am anyway
                Don

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Remember this first:
                  Of course they can change their minds.

Now, Our local news reported that one of the questions asked and answered was it will NOT be considered taxable next year.
                  Now see above.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

Actually Ed, I think you will qualify for $300 too. I know you are not a kid, but I think if you are below the income tax level, they are paying out 300 each.
                    Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Nice I get $600 LOML get $600 so what can I buy for my $600. Must start looking. They won't mess this up, it's election year finally get something back yahoo.

Tom

Comment

• ejs1097
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I'm no economist but I for one am confused how everyone buying flat screen TVs at best buy or Walmart or any other corporate stock company is going to stimulate the economy. It'll all get sucked up in big corporate America and lost. If everyone ran to their local mom and pop, I can see it, but that's not realty.
                        Eric
                        Be Kind Online

Comment

• lakkdainen
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2007
                          • Cincinnati, OH
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by ejs1097
                          I'm no economist but I for one am confused how everyone buying flat screen TVs at best buy or Walmart or any other corporate stock company is going to stimulate the economy. It'll all get sucked up in big corporate America and lost. If everyone ran to their local mom and pop, I can see it, but that's not realty.
                          I agree. In the end, the money ends up in the hands of corporate execs and/or Chinese manufacturing plants. A few numbers here and there won't change anything, consumer spending habits have to change.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by final_t
                            You'll see it on next year's taxes, just like they did in 2002. The "rebate" will count towards your total income. Either think of it as either a loan that gets repaid, or an advance on your 2009 tax refund. For some, it will actually be adding to your 2009 tax burden and could push you from one tax bracket to the next.
                            So don't worry, the IRS will get theirs.
                            Yeah, that's what I remember from before -- the check was just an advance on what you might have gotten back in the first place. Seems to me we had to essentially add the amount of the check to our total tax. So they're basically writing you a check for money you're overpaying them -- but it's not free money. In fact couldn't you even end up in a penalty situation if you don't overpay your taxes every year (like most people do)?

So, in nice round numbers, if my tax this year is $10,000, and my withholdings amounted to $10,000 (no refund/nothing owed), and I get a check for $1,800. Then I'd basically have to pay $11,800 in tax, which is $1,800 over what was withheld. ...or would I take it as income (which would raise my tax) an have to pay back a percentage of it roughly equal to my tax rate? So maybe the tax is $10,600 -- still $600 over what was withheld. Even in that case my $1800 goes down to $1200, but in the first case it goes down to zero -- and maybe even a loss due to penalties.

Last time it seemed like a really bad deal... almost underhanded. "Here's some extra money so go spend it!" when it's actually not extra money at all -- it's your own money, and it's been your all along.

Anyone know the details?
                            Last edited by Alex Franke; 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM.
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• sweensdv
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • WI
                              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

No cabinet saw in my immediate future but a new bandsaw would be great. Of course if this deal does happen I'm sure that the money will go towards existing bills and the shop will still be waiting for that new bandsaw.

Comment

Working...