• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I Hate Plumbing

The assignment this weekend was move the washer and dryer (again).

Working on the drain for the pump and....

1. You only discover that one of your lines is 2" too short AFTER you've just been to the store for supplies because what you got last week in a vain attempt to preplan won't work.

2. You also discover this AFTER you've plumbed the vent so you can't just move the pump.

3. After getting everything all hooked in, you test it aaannd the friggin drain leaks at one of the old joints. Of course, yanking it around broke something.

<edit> 4. Purple Primer stains. I know this because I almost fell off my ladder. I recovered but not before dragging the plastic I was using to cover some stuff down and the primer falling on the floor. I now have 1 purple sneaker and some toys (plastic of course) we were saving for the little one now have lots of purple spots.
    Last edited by crokett; 01-21-2008, 10:03 AM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Jeez, that sounds like an awful project. Pump? I am assuming your units are in basement? What type of pipe are you working with?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Since the drain line is non-pressure, you could probably use an epoxy to seal the leak in place. One thing I often do on plumbing projects is to double-buy fittings. Often, I will need them anyway, and if not, it helps me build up my fitting stock, so I maybe don't even need to go to the store next time.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

The reason I was asking about what type of plumbing you are using is, if its easy enough to cut the pipe, you can put a fernco in between the two sections of pipe (its a rubber slip cover with two worm clamps). This should give you some flexibility on the drain, if you use two fernco's you can even put in a trap to make clean out easier.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Cheeky
          • Nov 2006
          • westchester cty, new york
          • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          One thing I often do on plumbing projects is to double-buy fittings. Often, I will need them anyway, and if not, it helps me build up my fitting stock, so I maybe don't even need to go to the store next time.
          ditto, and the next time i need them, they will have quadrupled in price.
          Pete

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Chopnhack, it is a Zoeller ejector pump. Comes as a kit. Works quite welll when things don't leak.

The break in question is right at an elbow so no fernco fix. It is not really a break, just the joint most likely loosened up while I disconnected it and was moving it around. I thought about epoxy but will fix it correctly. Will cut it out and replace it. Fun Fun Fun.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              One thing I often do on plumbing projects is to double-buy fittings. Often, I will need them anyway, and if not, it helps me build up my fitting stock, so I maybe don't even need to go to the store next time.
              Great tip! I buy extra sometimes with electrical, but for some reason plumbing aggravates me so much I get rattled at the store and just want to get my current project over with and don't give a hang about the next project.
              - Chris.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

David, you've been watching me too much when I do a plumbing job.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Sugarman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Chester County, PA
                  • BT3100-1

I feel your pain. Your experience would be one of my better ones. l'd rather lick dirt than do plumbing.

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

I hate plumbing problems with a passion. Always ends up with at least 3 runs to the store it seems like. However, there is a plumbing supply store within a reasonable distance and they never fail to have the right part for old faucets, etc. My problem is figuring out what the right part is. A couple of times I have taken digital pictures of the problem in to them. Love those digital cameras.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by docrowan
                      Great tip! I buy extra sometimes with electrical, but for some reason plumbing aggravates me so much I get rattled at the store and just want to get my current project over with and don't give a hang about the next project.
                      Couldn't have said it better myself and that is why I didn't buy extra yesterday. I just wanted to get the darn thing done. Also for electrical, stuff like wire nuts, crimps, junction boxes etc work with different gauges of wire but plumbing I'd have to stock fittings for all different sizes.
                      David

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

David, you clearly have not been making your offerings to St. Bubba. Light a candle and go in peace, Brother.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Russell, NY, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Someone ought to do a poll: "How much do you hate plumbing?" My answer would be; "I'd rather fight a junk yard dog then plumb ANYTHING!"
                          RuffSawn
                          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...