Anyone subscribe to This Old House magazine?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Anyone subscribe to This Old House magazine?

Just got an offer in the mail for basically a dollar an issue. Tried to find a site for the same offer but looks like there isn't any. Wondering it's worth it. I enjoy WW but also enjoy home renovations and such as I'm sure most of you do. Would love to hear some of your opinions about this mag.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I got it for a while. It is ok, but not great. There are some tips/tricks but mostly it is about people's home renovations. Not technical enough for me.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Cheeky
      • Nov 2006
      • westchester cty, new york
      • Ridgid TS2400LS

it's ok. my gift sub should be running out soon, but there's no way i'd pay money for it....all filler, no killer.

my favorite home mag is dwell.
      Last edited by Cheeky; 01-17-2008, 11:55 PM.
      Pete

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

I too had it in the past and just like the show, small tidbits here and there. I really didnt like the magazine because there wasn't any really useful information for me or substantial articles. IMO
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• iceman61
          • Oct 2007
          • West TN
          • Bosch 4100-09

Get it if you like advertisements. This magazine is about 85-90% advertisement. Check it out on the magazine stand before you subscribe.

Comment

• thiggy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Alabama.
            • Craftsman Contractor

In it's early years I found it quite interesting. However, just like the TV show it moved from documenting projects in the average person's house to very upscale renovations. I no longer find it worth the expense. Additionally, both the show and magazine seem to highlight projects belonging to persons whose lifestyles are contrary to my values.
            SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll probably pass.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Not to pile on, but the magazine is really basically a lifestyle-type magazine geared towards the Fine Living/HGTV/Trading Spaces crowd. The show itself is only a shell of what it used to be. I still watch it, but I am getting tired of "Oh, what a great space". I think they are contractually obligated to call every room a "space" now. That, and the 7-figure+ renovations.

BTW, whatever happened to the full-time interior designer they hired for the show and the magazine? I almost vomited when they did that. I wonder if my reaction was the overwhelming one and they changed their mind?
                Joe

Comment

• rcp612
                  Established Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                  • Bosch 4100-09

Yeah,,, I got an offer for a special "senior rate" for $6.00 a year.
                  Just being called a senior made me wonder how old is Nahm?
                  Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• rberrybabylon
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2007

I was going to respond to the offer today just to see what the mag is like... but you all saved me a stamp and 6 bucks. Thanks.

I want to also thank the forum for presenting all the info on the BT3 series of saws. Based on what I've read on this forum, I bought a used BT3000 (and some add-ons) and couldn't be happier with the results. Great saw, great forum.

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by rcp612
                      Just being called a senior made me wonder how old is Nahm?
                      Late 50s. He's 57 or 58, right in there. I know he was born in 1950, although I don't know the exact date.
                      Larry

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I got a good deal on it so my subscription runs out in 2010. I'm seriously
                        considering ending the subscription. Not enough nuts and bolts stuff in it for
                        me.

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Austin, TX

Well, I have to vote the other way...at a buck an issue, I'll pick up a tip here or there and easily cover the cost...never mind that DW enjoys the 'decorator' aspect of the articles. Actually, the Jan/Feb issue is a bit more 'tips' oriented than some of the past months. I'll admit that the show deals with home reno well out of our price range but the 'on site' housecalls are interesting along with the occasional inspirational tip that I can use.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                            • May 2003
                            • Orlando, FL, USA.
                            • BT3000

If you own / work-on / or like old houses, I feel that the best mag on the market is "Old House Journal". Not to be confused with "This Old House." I have subscribed for over 20 years.

http://www.oldhousejournal.com/

- Lonnie
                            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

Working...