• Show
Clear All
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

Attn: Hydrocote/Resisthane Users

I know several members here have found Resisthane to be a great water-base laquer. I've used it on several projects now, applying it with the cheapie HF/Rockler/Woodcraft HVLP sprayer. I've yet to screw up a finish with this combination.

I have found a couple of limitations:
    1. For best results, it really needs to be sprayed on due to ultra fast drying (It's OK to brush on a small area). Recently, I had to install some trim work inside the house. I wasn't able to apply the stain and finish before installing. Since masking off the area for spraying was impractical, I thought I'd have to use a wipe-on poly--with the obnoxious fumes--instead of my beloved Resisthane. Then I stumbled on a Q&A on the Highland Woodworking website that suggested wiping it on. I tried it and it works great! You have to work fast, but it's forgiving enough to do a decent job.
    2. Another thing I didn't like is the lack of the nice amber warmth associated with traditional solvent-based laquer. Sometimes that's a good thing, but I was trying to match existing woodwork. I found that there is a Hydrocote Amber additive available. I bought some and tried it out. I was skeptical at first, as it really darkens the Resithane when you add it at the recommended dose, but once applied it really did give the wood that traditional warm amber glow. I've only found it to be available from Highland Woodworking.

I'm not associated with Hood Finishes or Highland Woodworking...just thought I'd pass these tidbits along.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Good post. I am glad to hear of the "amber" additive. I am sure that solvent paints as we know it will follow suit with some of the paint changes going on in CA.

(A few people have reported that some of their favorite solvent based paints are not longer available there.)

I like the water based paints but don't like the dead looking clarity on wood.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I can and have gone over to Nevada from Sacramento to buy paint and other Toxic substaces you can no longer get it CA.

Tom

Comment

• pecker
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

I have used amber aniline dye powder, dissolved in a little water , then mixed with the Resisthane before spraying. Of course, you can use other colors of dye to achieve different effects.

You have to be careful to spray an even coat, especially on light woods, as the color will "build" with each pass of the gun. It can turn out a bit streaky looking, otherwise.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks for the review, sounds a good option. But tell me more - is this expensive? can i use it for all sorts of projects? where do i buy it?
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
            Thanks for the review, sounds a good option. But tell me more - is this expensive? can i use it for all sorts of projects? where do i buy it?

I use it for about everything. It's a pre-catalyzed "laquer," so it's pretty tough. I still use polyurethane on some projects that I think will be subjected to abuse...but I'm not convinced it's that much stronger. Maybe I'll try comparing the two someday...

The price isn't too bad, about $25.00/gallon. It seems to go a long way, especially if you're using an HVLP sprayer.

As 'pecker' pointed out, you do have to practice good spraying technique, but the finish is self-leveling and fairly forgiving. I've not had any problems with streaking.

So far, Highland Woodworking is the only place I've found to buy it. Used to be able to buy it direct from Hood Finishing Products, but that part of their website hasn't been operational for awhile. Their customer service is pretty good, but I get the impression they are geared more towards professional users (cabinet shops & the like).
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I call Hood Finishing directly and order it straight from them. I'm not a pro by
              any stretch of the imagination. I paid $56 (shipping included) for 2 1 gallon cans from NJ to MD by UPS. Arrived in 2 days.

Paul

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I also call Hood since I can't get their website to work. I think I paid $35 for a gallon delivered the last time I order some. It was white tinted. They have Resisthane tinted white and black in addition to clear (in gloss and satin finishes).

Great stuff. Ready to sand and hit with another coat in about an hour.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

This is directly from their website . . .

"Whether you're a professional woodworker or just a creative hobbyist, we have the right products and equipment for all your Wood Finishing and Refinishing needs.
                  Factory Direct!"

Comment

Working...