• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Started using a Compucarve

I've been looking at the Carvewright machines for the last year or so and was waiting for it to be more ready for prime time but I have a demand for what it does. Recently, I've seen more favorable reports and decided I was ready to take the plunge since Sears had a decent sale on the Compucarve. . I had one delivered on Friday and decided to not be my normal self and get edjumacated before I turned the machine on. Documentation is pretty skimpy but there are a lot of resources available on the internet and that over came some lacking operating instructions. I have everything set up (I think) and will put my first project through in the morning.
  • dick541
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004
    • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
    • BT3100

Get your ear plugs on before you turn that thing on, it is very loud. I got one last spring and returned it. Not the best thing to use to make designs. Don't like the way it goes up and down to make the cuts. There are better machines out that do a better job, but they are more costlyGood luck.
    dick

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Looking forward to find out how it's working for you, Mike.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Me too. Post some pics if you can.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Here is a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGuUl...eature=related
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

I think those are pretty neat little machines. There are some guys who really get creative with them. They are a little limiting and they have been plagued by trouble, but if you got a good one, it can do some terrific looking stuff.
            I am interested in seeing some projects made with this. Careful though. CNC is a very slippery slop that will rival even a turning or plane collecting habit.
            Lee

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by Stytooner
              Careful though. CNC is a very slippery slop that will rival even a turning or plane collecting habit.

Probably something akin to a lathe.

The learning curve so far isn't too bad. I'm running a small shop sign right now and I've had a couple of glitches but they were simple to solve. The cutting head had some slop and kept giving me errors after afout 10 minutes of run time. Some tightening and a little lube seems to have taken care of that.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Good post!. I too have been eyeing one of Sears machines, sorta waiting till the price dropped a little. However after watching the "CarveWright" on youtube am starting to wonder about the Sears one. The video says you can use any 1/4 or 1/2 bit in the machine. As far as I can remember the Sears machine is limited to only a couple of bits which are mandatory to their machine?? Of course the video demo's always make it look like a 5th grader could turn out masterpieces, the reality must be somewhere between that and #*%##**!
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

The Sears and Carvewright are identical machines. Most of the folks on the Carvewright and Compucarvewright forums recommend using bits made for the equipment. I'm not ready to experiment yet.

Comment

Working...