• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Said goodbye to an old friend today...

I have watched this forum with interest recently, and seen messages for and from those of us who have lost treasured pets. Sadly, this morning I have become one of you.

My ex called in tears to say that our old Heinz-57 pit bull mix, who was diagnosed with aggressive cancer some two years ago (and given a month to live at that time), had gotten bad over the weekend, and needed to be put down, but that she could not deal with it herself. "Cello" was a rescue from a dog-fighting operation. We have no idea how old she was, as she was grown when she came into our family 14 years ago. She was butt-ugly, and skittish and fearful of everything back then, but responded immediately to our offerings and quickly became a stalwart member of the family. She was an outside dog, and asked for little other than a shady spot and some ground to dig a crater to wallow in.

When the ex and I went our separate ways many years ago, it was comforting for me to know that Cello was faithfully on guard, protecting my loved ones as I could no longer do. When I learned of her cancer, I fashioned a box for her that was like her, simple but strong and dignified. The ex and I picked out a place in her beloved backyard for her to rest, but she carried on for two more years without suffering in the slightest, in spite of the grim outlook, so I didn't have to dig that hole just yet... until today. The ex could not bear to be there at the end, but I wanted to be. So I sat and held my old friend as she went away peacefully.

She was everything a dog should be, and she was a lot of things I wish people could be. The hole I dug pales by comparison to the one in our hearts this day. So I ask that you join me in raising a glass... to old friends...
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

You bet. That is sad to hear. Not sure what I will do when our Lab goes to the big kennel in the sky. I met him when his barking woke me up at 4:30 AM every morning for a week. When I went over that weekend to complain I discovered his owner was kinda cute. I owe him a debt I can't ever really repay.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

Sorry to hear about it. My sincere condolences.

Comment

• smc331
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Charlotte, NC, USA.
        • BT3100

My condolences as well - I too will raise a glass to old friends this evening.
        Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I feel for ya UC. It's sad to lose a dear friend. I had a beautiful German Shepherd die in my arms in the mid 80's. He too was 14 at the time. What helps healing is to give another little buddy a chance in life to exchange our love. It's unfortunate that some people don't have the chance to experience that kind of love.

I have a special piece for times like this:
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
          There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
          There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
          The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

I will be pouring a glass of my finest scotch for Cello tonight.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Sorry to hear you lost an old friend. We did that a little over a year ago, and it's a hard thing to bear. I hope the hole in your heart heals quickly.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I know how you feel. I had to put my Choc Lab down last July. Had to come home From Boise Idaho and miss my Grandson's Birthday party. I had to drive 550 miles and listen to Fox News on the Sat radio talk all about Mike Vic and his problems. Toby we think had Brain Cancer, too expensive to find out for sure but he started have siezures the year before and thats what was suspected. I miss him still today and carry is collar with me when we travel and it hangs on bed post on my side of the bed. My wife got a new dog a month later as she couldn't be with out a dog. I was not ready but she needed one. So now we have light brown Sheba Inu/Lab mix named Rose. She is a nice and he speciality is helping to heal broken hearts, she is a year old this month LOML says she was at the City Shelter for a month because Toby wanted her to come home with us. Who am I to disagree with that. So my thoughts are with you and your family at the time of loss. You do have the good memories and they will sustain you during this time.

Tom
                Last edited by TB Roye; 01-07-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys. We very much appreciate it.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Sad to hear of your loss, Uncle Crack. I had to put my wife's 14 year old five toed Calico down the Friday before Xmas. She got sick about two weeks before that with an ir-reversible feline disease and when she got to the point of having extreme difficulty getting to the litter box well... it's time before they go into any pain.

That was the tenth tiime I've had to do that over the past 35 years, but it makes it no less difficult. I just stopped a chest of drawers when she got sick and just resumed yesterday. The wood was there waiting when I finally got the mood back.

Again... so sorry!

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I know how you are feeling. I have three (2 dogs and a cat) buried out back. I fear our rescue Bichon is soon to join them.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                        • One of them there Toy saws

I don't have words..... Love continues on.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • IL, USA.
                          • DELTA 36-675

Sorry to hear that Cello has moved on. I too will be pouring a glass of my finest scotch for Cello tonight.
                          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made."

Sorry to hear about Cello.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

The lost animal threads are so heart-tugging. There is just something about the unconditional love that a dog provides that makes their passing especially hard. Truly sorry for your loss.

Comment

Working...