granite sealer - from Lowes or HD, which?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

granite sealer - from Lowes or HD, which?

I need to seal the granite counter top, could someone recommend a certain brand?, Lowes is nearby, but I can go to HD also.

thanks,

gychang
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Go to a local tile shop and find Aqua Mix Enrich 'N' Seal, it's in a silver bottle. It is professonal grade stuff. I tried the sealer in the green and yellow bottle from HD and the Aqua Mix is far superior.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Granite sealer used should be of natural based, containing fatty acids like soap, and can be applied at times when cleaning. It fills the pores and not caustic enough to remove acrylic sealants, and provides nutrients for the friendly bacteria without blocking the stone from water evaporation.

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2008
        • Tampa Bay, Fl.

Ok, I may have missed something here but your saying that everytime you clean the tops you're also sealing it with that type of product???

I would submit that any of you sealing your own tops ask the local granite company what they use. There are sealers that are good for 1 year and depending how hard you are on the tops, may need to be re-sealed in that time frame. There are also sealers that have a 15 year warranty.
        www.drytreat.com
        Obviously, you get what you pay for and a 1 year sealer should be around $59.00 per Gallon. A 15 year sealer will retail at $200.00 per Gallon.

Most stone shops will tell you to stay away from silicone based sealers.

One of the biggest problems right now in the world of stone is shops that pump out tops without regard to sealing it at all. That, is a no-no.

Another site for up to date info on stone is: www.stoneadvice.com
        WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

I know nothing about the subject except I did see a $200 gallon of something or another on the solid surface aisle and was shocked.

What I do know is that I spent a lot of time on Daves site last week and I've got to say he is probably about the most definative source of knowledge on the subject matter at hand that you are going to find.

Seems like the 15 year sealer would be the way to go, both on a cost and maintenance issue.

Comment

• FEDSAWDAVE
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2008
            • Tampa Bay, Fl.

I appreciate the kind words but I would not go that far.

The price of the sealer just like with the price of a tool does not always equate to quality. I've seen $175.00 a gallon sealers at the big boxes that I know darn well are worth about $40.00 a gallon. With any granite countertop, there are differant absorption rates depending on the porosity of the stone. That is why sealers will generally say that a quart will cover 40-200 square feet. You don't want a sealer that basically (like siliconed product) acts like it is akin to waxing your car. You'll want one that molecularly bonds not only to the top of the stone, but as deep down as it will absorb.

That way, the proverbial wine spill, standing water and lemon juice goes away with a damp rag.
            WWW.FEDERALSAW.COM

Comment

Working...