This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Back to work after 6 weeks .....

Sunday after Thanksgiving as I was putting up Christmas lights I slipped and fell on the front porch. Left leg shot out in front of me, and my prosthesis caused my knee to hyperextend way too much. Wow. Never knew a knee could swell so fast! ER doc said I fractured my femur but the orthopedist the next day said no. Just a severe knee sprain. He predicted 3-6 weeks to recover.

Took almost 5 weeks of PT just to get back to 90 degrees flexion, and during that time I couldn't wear the leg at all. Finally got it back on New Year's Day. So, back to work Jan 2nd for mornings only for a while as I still can't bear any weight on my leg at all. Guess that will take another few weeks. On crutches until then.

Also made it hard to get to the computer the way I have it set up. Easy to read, near impossible to write. But it was great to be able to keep up with BT3Central! Seriously considering a wireless keyboard now.

I guess we all heal slower as we age, but at least we still heal. And thank goodness the ER doc was wrong!

Anyway, a belated Happy New Year to y'all! And may the year be better for everyone!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Paul,

Between you and Rod, we are getting all kinds of medical news. Glad you are doing better and are back at work. Age doesn't go away, it hangs around, and slows things down. Take it easy.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jaden
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Trenton, MI
      • BT3100

I'm just glad that all the medical news is turning out positive, and knock-on-wood, it will continue to be so. It's really good to see one of our most esteemed members on the mend, glad to see your back Paul.

Steve
      "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Great to hear you're on the mend, Paul.

Getting old definitely sucks!
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Be careful of catching your toe and twisting in the future once you hyper-extended, Mildoc. I blew out the right knee Skydiving long ago and the left skiing in Colorado in the mid 80"s. I have outgrown the thrill of the first but I sure miss the skiiing.

Be careful as sometimes I do what I mentioned above and the right knee cap pops out. I have to hit the deck and support my foot while I twist my upper body. It just pops back in usually and the intense pain goes away almost immediately. I suppose the knees will never be the same.

Again.. be careful and watch your step...

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

WHAT, an incorrect diagnosis from a trained medical ER professional...incredible. How can that be??? Anyway, glad to hear you are ambulatory. You're right, the older we get, the more difficult it is. The problem lies in being young at mind, and the body doesn't follow.

Yep, you have to go wireless. It's cool.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Paul, I noticed you haven't been posting, and I mentioned that in another thread. Had no idea you had a problem, just thought maybe you were busy. Glad to hear things are going in the right direction now. Be careful, and don't overdo it. Oh yeah, take 2 aspirin, and call me in the morning.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Milk it for all the guilt and sympathy you can. After all, you were putting up the lights for HER to enjoy!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Milk it for all the guilt and sympathy you can. After all, you were putting up the lights for HER to enjoy!

Don,

Yer jus plain mean

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Glad to hear you are on the mend 'doc. A wireless keyboard/mouse is a great idea and it is all I use at home and work now. The receiver can be tucked under the desk nice and neat .
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• DonHo
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                      • Craftsman 21829

"Getting old definitely sucks!"
                      Well it beats the alternative

DonHo
                      Don

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

Glad to hear you are healing. Wishing you a complete recovery.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

It sounds like you followed the PT's instructions. Good job and welcome back to "the grind".
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

Working...