• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Thought For The New Year

I've often thought about my life choices in schooling, military, work, hobbies, and relationships. As I look back I wonder what the purpose of life really is. It's a learning process. I weigh in my contribution to others and evaluate whether I've done enough. Have I left a sufficient mark? Is there more I could do? How will I be remembered?

Whether I would have been happier in another vocation is questionable.

I ran across this quote by Theodore Roosevelt "Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing".
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I find the greatest joy and satisfaction in empowering others, and equipping and encouraging them to reach beyond themselves to and through others! Doing so means I have to take a back seat to self.

Does that make sense?

Similar: I once heard a man say that one of the hardest but greatest things for a man to do is to raise his daughter to love someone else more than she loves her parents. When that happens, you know that you have been close to success as a parent.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-24-2007, 10:21 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

I just look at my three kids. One a successful entrepeneur in the medical industry and the proud father of my first grandchild. He is going to be a marvelous parent andf father. And my daughter, starting her career in the banking field and almost engaged to a fine young man, a graduate of the air force academy, a pilot and everything an officer and a gentleman should be. And my foster son, as close to me as my biological sone, a staff seargant in the Marine Corps and husband with a 27 year old wife with terminal cancer. I watch as he cares for her and still maintains his career. Have I left a mark. I think so and one I can be proud of.
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
        I find the greatest joy and satisfaction in empowering others, and equipping and encouraging them to reach beyond themselves to and through others! Doing so means I have to take a back seat to self.

Does that make sense?

Similar: I once heard a man say that one of the hardest but greatest things for a man to do is to raise his daughter to love someone else more than she loves her parents. When that happens, you know that you have been close to success as a parent.

Yes it does make sense. Sometimes it doesn't take much. Could be as simple as word of encouragement. What it does take is to realize what form the "reaching out" really takes, and acting on it appropriately.

As for the love of parents, that I believe goes unchanged and matures. Loving "someone else" can co-exist with love of family. It's not a matter of measuring intensity.

"Making our mark" in life may be the small accomplishments we contribute. From the minimal response to this subject, it may be easier to not be concerned with what's important or not. In that scenario, there's no pressure or anxiety. Hard to get even an opinion, isn't it.

Comment

Working...