• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Check Out This Bed!

Ran across this on craigslist. Never seen one like this.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/fur/518039313.html
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

That's a cool piece of furniture. If it's not too far from you, you should check it out.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Whoa Pappy.. I've seen a few Murphy beds... but never one that folds into a chest-table as that. I used to have an apartment after VN that had a fold up and swing into the closet bed. That was long ago.. but I understand that is fairly common in the larger northern cities as NYC?

Merry Xmas... jarhead

Comment

• Seedy
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2007

Pappy- I saw one exactly like this one a few years ago in Missouri. This one looks to be in better shape. I think it was priced about the same as this one. I have always wished I had figured out a way to come up with the money for it, because I've never seen another like it until now.

-seedy

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

That's a real interesting piece. Hard to tell how old it is without the up close touch/feel method. The folding bed looks exactly like a folding rollaway bed we had when I was a kid. That one folded up, and stood up.

It just goes to show how inventive some craftsmen can be. Finding one of those old folding beds in a Good Will or Salvation Army stores might make an interesting project for a "hide-a-bed".

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

That is unusual. It is the first I have seen.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

All of the normal style Murphy beds that I have seen have been full or better. I have a late friend who was an antique dealer and store owner, until his wife passed, then he lost most of the passion for it. He told me of this style once and said it was (from fallible memory), was either twin, or what we call 3/4 now.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dkhoward
                • Dec 2003
                • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                • bt3000

I saw one a few weeks ago in a shop here that folded like this but when closed it looked like a sideboard or small hutch. The bed, when unfolded was more of a youth size bed, shorter than a full length twin. It was an interesting piece and had I a place to put it, would have added it to our collection.
                Dennis K Howard
                www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by dkhoward
                  I saw one a few weeks ago in a shop here that folded like this but when closed it looked like a sideboard or small hutch. The bed, when unfolded was more of a youth size bed, shorter than a full length twin. It was an interesting piece and had I a place to put it, would have added it to our collection.

On the length, both my parents, and a late friends (which was bought by another friend), are shorter then today's beds. I think all standard Murphy beds are.
                  By the way, these had a feather mattress. (achoo, with my allergies)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Interesting background for that "ad". Maybe while you're there checking out the antique, Pappy, you could patch that hole in the wall for them??
                    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...