• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Our car has been stabbed!

I had to chuckle at this site....fortunately, it missed the radiator. I rolled in from work this morning at about 6:15....still dark out, but I could see a substantial piece of wood sticking out of the front end of our "4th string" car, and it was really stuck. It took daylight, gloves, and a lot of finesse to get it out. My 17 year old son apparently slid on ice in a friend's driveway last night and took out a piece of their wooden bridge! The rails on the bridge did their job and kept him out of the creek. But he's totally ruined the value of our $500 car!

If you've read thru my post about the jewelry box dilemna, then you'll know this is the 2nd "issue" we've run across in the last 24 hours. I'm waiting for number 3 to hit so we can move on and celebrate Christmas! (now that I think about it, "incident number 3" may have struck first...our main passenger van has a new and unexplained crease in the side entry door....oh, hte joys of parenting!)
    Last edited by Knottscott; 12-22-2007, 12:39 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

so nothing vital hit?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by pierhogunn
      so nothing vital hit?
      Correct...nothing vital hit. It'd be ironic for a stick to put this car to death...when we bought it, I was thinking: 2 tons, old style steel frame, big V8 motor (discourages unnecessary cruising!), snow tires, nearly 7' between the bumper and the driver...pretty much indestructable for a young male driver. The "Beast" lives!
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

You need to think up a project to make out of that piece of wood to remember the occasion.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Even if it is your $500.00 car, it's a good thing nothing much was damaged.

Originally posted by Dustmight
          pretty much indestructable for a young male driver.
          I really hope you don't have to eat those words.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Maybe he thought the car was a vampire!
            Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

So I assume you reclaimed that wood, right?

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

When I was younger, I used to drive around a dodge van full of tools in Germany to do carpentry repair work on all the clubs (17) in the Hanau area. Officers, NCO's etc... One day while traveling to one of the clubs, I hit a great big bird. I only caught it out of the corner of my eye, but he was good sized. He actually flew into the plastic grill from the side. I got out and looked and the grill was totally smashed up. The guys back at the office did not beleive my story about a bird and thought I had wrecked it.
                Well upon closer inspection from my Boss, he saw a large ring necked Pheasant still laying at the bottom of the radiator. Thankfully for me, but not the bird. My Boss ironically was a Full Bird Colonel at the time.

At any rate, all it hurt was the plastic grill, which I replaced soon afterward.
                It really helps a young drivers story when parts of what you hit is still there.
                Lee

Comment

Working...