• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Christmas Tipping

This can be a very expensive time of year. It's also a time we can extend our gratitude. I always thought a nice "thank you" is enough, but it isn't spendable.

For me, I tip my supplier's delivery personnel as they handle my goods and usually are involved in picking the stock. I also tip the sales reps as they keep me up on the latest and greatest stuff, and at times get me included on freebies for testing, and special deals on tools and materials.

At home, I know we aren't supposed to give the postal carrier cash, but I do anyway. He's a great guy, works very hard, and at times we get into short conversation that breaks up the monotony. I drop $20 in a nice card and hand it to him. Our newspaper guy is a little more overt. He includes a self addressed envelope with a paper. We give him $20, just so he doesn't practice his pitching skills. LOML tips her hairdresser $50, as that's about what she spends per visit.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that if I don't tip, they look at it as us being cheap.

So, what's the general opinion on tipping? Who do you tip to, and what do you give?
  • big tim
    • Mar 2006
    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
    • SawStop PCS

I tip our mailman, put some cash ($40) in a Christmas card and hand it to him when he delivers the mail. He 's a nice guy and we chat every once in a while, like you do. We have two little girls deliver the local area paper(delivered twice a week) They are about 6 and 9 years old, allthough one of the parents is always with them. But the little ones do the running. So we give them a card with $20 for each one of them and 2 little boxes each with smarties. The love it.

Tim
    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Tipping is a BIG problem for Aussies (when we go th the USA) - it is NOT part of our culture. And wages for EVERY Oz job has no tipping component allowed for!

Restaurants - 10% MAX - IF the service was exceptional. Otherwise - zip.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Gifts for letter carriers are not supposed to be accepted over $20 in value but nobody keeps tabs, especially around Christmas.

My letter carrier gets $20 in a card and usually a box of candies. I also give him a card with $5 in it for his floater. (That's the carrier 'floats' between 5 routes to cover days off.)

Never thought about the paper delivery guy. I will this year. We have a box and I know it is a bit more work to use than throwing it in the drive.

I have caught the trash truck and taken slices of pie out to them a few times, but why not tape cards to the box with $5 for each of the guys? Would anyone want their job?
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
          I have caught the trash truck and taken slices of pie out to them a few times, but why not tape cards to the box with $5 for each of the guys? Would anyone want their job?

We've got a separate trash pick up from the recyclables, different trucks, different drivers...all the time. Our pick ups are USUALLY on the specified day if at all. I doubt the drivers (they are automated arm trucks) could keep track of anything, like who gave, as they are on the cell phone, and have a boom box blaring.

Comment

• Stormbringer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Floral Park, NY
            • Bosch 4000

Sitting here awaiting the sanitation guys as I type (today is the last pick up until after Christmas) Three guys @ $20 each - they have been great to me over the years with all the remodeling I've done.

Mailman will get a $20 tomorrow.

Newspaper delivery guy has good and bad days so the jury is still out on him.

Comment

Working...