• Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Car door handle problem

My daughters car - 1987 Pontiac Grand Am 2 door has a big problem. With our recent ice storm, she broke both door handles trying to get into the car. The handles are still attached, but do not operate.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get into the car, and does anyone have any idea what may have broken? I am going to have my grandson try to get into the car from the trunk, but I am afraid that the back seat is bolted in. If I can get into the car I can remove the door handle and probably fix it. Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I don't remember where the handle is on that particular one (door frame at the top or normal place on the door). If it has a solid frame around the window, and the handle is down below, there is a kit, that several tow truck drivers I know use, that you could do something similar.

Make a wedge of wood, and carefully pull the door as far as you can then insert it into the top. You will probably have to come up with some wire type material as a coat hanger probably won't be long enough, but use it to reach in and pull the handle release.

As to what is broken, either the springs or one side of the handle (if this is the case you might be able to use pliers to open it).

I would NOT let the grandson try to get in WITHOUT making sure someone CONTINUOUSLY held the trunk open.

Edit, it appears, the Grand Prix was the model I am thinking of with the handle up top.
    Last edited by LinuxRandal; 12-20-2007, 05:08 PM.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Your easiest method is to use a slim jim. They work pretty good. You could order one, or try your local auto parts store.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Your easiest method is to use a slim jim. They work pretty good. You could order one, or try your local auto parts store.
        These work well for unlocking, but not so good for non functioning handles.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Linux,
          If I understand what you are saying, you mean to wedge open the door some so I can get to an interior door handle to open the car? The car is about 30 miles away from me, so I haven't got to look at it yet. I was hoping for some ideas, so I would know what to try when I get there this weekend. Thanks for your reply!

Cabinet man, I have a slim jim somewhere, but I only have minimal luck using it on door locks. If there is a way to open a door with it I would sure appreciate the method. Thanks for your reply too!

Bill
          Last edited by billwmeyer; 12-20-2007, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            These work well for unlocking, but not so good for non functioning handles.

Years ago, I had to buy one for a Chevy pick-up. It would unlock, and could pull the handle lever inside the door. It might be just in the design of the auto, or the Slim Jim used. There's also "door opening kits".

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Years ago, I had to buy one for a Chevy pick-up. It would unlock, and could pull the handle lever inside the door. It might be just in the design of the auto, or the Slim Jim used. There's also "door opening kits".
              When you say pull the handle lever inside the door, inside the door frame or vehicle itself? Just asking because I haven't had any luck with that on more modern cars, and even try to avoid a slim jim on modern, electric lock vehicles.

Bill, yes, you have the idea. My tow truck drivers wedge was plastic, and inserted between the front door, and the pillar section directly behind it. Although he said he had to wedge at different placed on different vehicles.

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

car door handle problem

If I remember correctly, this car has horizontal lock linkage running from the
                inside door lock assembly to the latch assembly at the rear of the door.

You might want to try and gently, wedge the top of the door and lower a door opening tool down to the interior handle and open the door from there.
                You will have to repair those handles, they are probably broken at the end
                where the lift rod connects to the handle assembly. Hope this helps....
                eezlock

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Thanks guys! I will see what happens this Saturday.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...