• Show
Clear All
  • panthony
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2007
    • Piedmont area of North Carolina

Greetings to BT3 Central from a New Guy

Hello Woodworkers,

I am a “journeyman mechanic” or as some would say “master craftsman”. Those are labels I don’t take lightly because they are backed up with a carpenter/cabinetmaker apprenticeship before spending many years finishing in upscale homes with the last twelve years as a professional building designer and builder. Every once in awhile I get a request for a furniture piece or cabinet and I pick up my carpentry tools and make some very satisfying saw dust. However, my keyboard and mouse are the first tools I use as a good design starts with a well though out plan, modeling and documenting it first before ever picking up a hammer and saw. I apply the same commitment to my digital designs that I learned long ago as an apprentice carpenter which is to get it right the first time.

Below is an image representing my craft

As you can see these images are modeled in 3D computer graphics.
    I will be posting the followin piece as I progress...in the meantime I'll post some of my past work.
    Here is an image of a cabinet design that I am currently building.

I've been a carpenter for quite some time and look forward to seeing some of work done through users on this forum.

If any of you have questions concerning me or my work please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
    Pete A.
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Welcome to the forum Pete.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Glad to have you in attendance. You'll like the gang here.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

Welcome aboard Pete. I'm sure you will be a valuable part of our group.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Welcome aboard, Pete!

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Welcome aboard, Pete. If your craftsmanship is as good as your CADsmanship we're going to be hating you in a big way - LOL!!! Just a welcoming joke so kick off your shoes and help us out with your skills.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

Welcome aboard! you will enjoy your time here.

so just out of curiosity, what drew you to do join this site? what software do you use to model your projects?

happy posting!

Comment

• John Hunter
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                • BT3000 & BT3100

Welcome aboard.
                John Hunter

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Glad to have another professional join the forum. You experience in carpentry and cabinetry will be treasured here, but so will your experience in design and CAD.

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Welcome aboard, Pete. Jump right in. You'll find real pros here, and an occasional rookie like me.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Welcome Pete...

You mentioned carpenter/cabinet-maker apprentice-ship. Are you from England by chance or apprentice in Europe?

Again... welcome.....

Comment

• panthony
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2007

You mentioned carpenter/cabinet-maker apprentice-ship

Sarge,

No never been to Europe, but maybe someday perhaps. My apprentiship was an informal and personal one because three old timers took me under their wings for about 7 years and taught me what being a carpenter was all about. I cherish and miss the time that I spent with the old codgers. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday but it was thirty years ago. Dick was a chain smoker and had absolutely nothing good to say about anyone but he could fit a fine joint with finesse and precision unlike anyone I've ever seen since. Jerry was rough on the outside and used to constantly argue with Dick about the hammer he'd lost (the same one Dick found during a remodel of a car dealership left between some studs) and wanted it back swearing he'd stole it from him (Dick told me later that is really was Jerry's but he loved to see him get all worked up). Jerry showed me how to use hand tools by letting the tools do the work. He always used to say take care of your tools and they will return the love. Al....he gave me the best advice of all...don't be in such a hurry that you can't sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee long enough to figure out your problem. Those guys were real carpenters...they dug foundations with a drag bucket and team of horses. They didn't rely on screws and glue to hold something together...if a mortise and tennon was cut just right you had to use a mallet to drive in the back pin. And you did't buy the mallet...you had to make one...I still use mine today.

It wasn't about the money...it was all about doin' what was right. Jerry came up to me one day and grabbed my hammer out of my hand, went over to his horses and cut 3" off the end. I was shocked cause that was my only hammer. He brought it back to me, looked me straight in the eye and said boy...that handle was made that long so's you'd use the whole thing and the people who made it ain't no liars so's I cut it off to show ya. Now go git yerself a new GD handle and use the whole GD thing cause we ain't playin no DM baseball here. Needless to say I stopped chokin' up on my hammer...and dang if he wasn't right because my accuracy really improved (and I didn't want to lose another hammer handle).

Lots of fun.

Pete A

Comment

• panthony
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2007

Omar,

I was drawn to this sight after searching the internet and seeing the input from the users.

This is a quality place for woodworkers.

The software I use is a combination of Vectorworks and Form-Z.

Pete A.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

First welcome aboard!

Secondly, you were very lucky to have who you had, (and the experiences) and please be responsible and pay that forward!
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...