• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Now It Starts

This is what is coming my way tonight. I pulled it from the Environment Canada site.

"Winter storm warning in effect.
    Tonight Snow at times heavy becoming mixed with ice pellets overnight. Snow and ice pellet amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind east 30 km/h becoming light this evening. Temperature rising to minus 1 by morning. Sunday Snow at times heavy mixed with ice pellets. Snow and ice pellet amount 10 to 20 cm. Blowing snow in the afternoon. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. Temperature falling to minus 5 in the afternoon. Sunday night Snow and local blowing snow ending near midnight then clearing. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 60. Low minus 7. "

I just came from Mum's who sits on Lake Erie and the roads were lightly covered. If we get what they are saying, I'll post some pics for the members who only hear stories of snow.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I was born in Buffalo, NY. Need I say more?

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Why is the word "sleet" a "non-word" in the weather community now? What dumb idiot decided that "ice pellet" is a better word when both are the same, sleet is more common and has been in use longer.

"Ice pellets" make me think along lines of "deer pellets", "pellet guns" certain kinds of feed", while "sleet" makes me think totally in a "weather" context.

Ice pellets remind me of spraying cold water from a water hose in cold winter (down south) - i.e. man made, or scientific at best. Sleet is Natures way, connected to the weather itself, and a word that is not in need of change.

Rant Off!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I remember a Jr. High science teacher describing sleet by saying it "falls like rain, but hurts like hail..." I never forgot that...

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Woke up this morning to freezing rain and ice pellets. We are up to eight inches of the white stuff now and no sign of the snow slowing down.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• smorris
            • Apr 2003
            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I was born in Buffalo, NY. Need I say more?
            I grew up outside Buffalo, past Lockport out in the sticks if you remember the area. I well remember some vicious storms but '77 is the one that always comes to mind.
            --
            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
              Why is the word "sleet" a "non-word" in the weather community now? What dumb idiot decided that "ice pellet" is a better word when both are the same, sleet is more common and has been in use longer.
              I'm not fully qualified to respond, but the reason may be the same one that the Inuit have for needing 100 different words for snow. It may be, Hank, that you have insufficient appreciation for the variety of frozen things that may fall from the Canadian sky!

JR
              JR

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by leehljp
                For the same reason some weather guessers refer to sleet as hail.

For the same reason a reporter couldn't figure out why you can't make a snowball out of sleet and he needed to talk to the weather guesser about it.

For the same reason I now call a meteorologist a weather guesser.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

I said I would post a couple of pictures of the storm that rolled through here on Sunday. Niagara was the hardest hit in this area.

Looking out the front door.

Main road through town.

BBQ and a chair.

Richard in Smithville

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

The chair looks like a folded hand with that snow on it.

Glad it is you and not me though - here it is just cold. Upper 20s for a low tonight.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                      Bandsaw Box Momma
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Here in the middle of Washington state we have a winter storm advisory that says we are supposed to get 3 to 5 inches, and that is going to last till about 7 tonight.

We already have about 2 inches on the ground and that is since about 1:30 this morning when the dogs woke me to let them outside. Then there was just a small amount but when I got up this morning there was more on the ground and its still snowing.

Call me crazy but I like the snow. Don't mind walking in it or shoveling in it (just a little bit), or driving in it.
                      Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Those pictures look a lot like what we got. We got 11 inches of snow, with fairly strong wind. I've seen a lot worse around here though. We have a warm up coming. It should be up around 40 degrees in a few days.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...