• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Swear...I Will Never...

I grew up being a chance taker, and seemingly fearless. In junior high school, the only sports I played were football and the swimming team. Being an avid swimmer, joined the team and entered the freestyle and relay events. The team had no diver. So, I was talked into giving it a go.

A group of dives known as "reverse somersaults" also called "gaynors", are high point difficulty dives that a competitor needs to include in the program to get high points. I witnessed a diver attempting a "double", and smacking his head so hard on the board that he cracked his skull and had to get carted off.

It was then at the beginning of my not so illustrious diving career that I swore I would never do those dives.`The sad thing is I never even tried.

So, the question is... is there something that you swore you won't do or won't try?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

In reverse, of sorts, I loved heights and the thrill of roller coasters, some aerobactic flying with friends, climbing (hiking) up mountains on the edge of cliffs with 1000 fit straight down drops, high buildings etc. I never thought I would be afraid of heights.

Suddenly about 10 years ago, I began to hate being near edges, by the windows in tall buildings, and world class roller coasters.

One thing I said that I would NEVER do:
    1. move off of the farm I grew up on; (I was serious about that.)
    2. move out of the county that I grew up in. Too crowded in large cities of 20,000 people! (I was serious about that too.)
    3. Speak another language; Southern redneck language was just fine for communicating!

Moved to Tokyo, surrounded by Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, and Ibaraki, 35 million people in a 100 diameter mile circle and 99.99% of them only speak Japanese!
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-09-2007, 07:21 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

In my foolish youth I swore I'd never teach high school. Now I are a high school teacher!

I didn't decide to teach until age 43, then it took two years to get the ed classes finished. Especially the mmmmmmmmath class (Math for Fine Arts majors). I actually started teaching full-time before I had my certification.

I went from 8-10 hour days five days a week to 14-16 hour days during the week and many weekends surrounded by teenagers. It's the best career change I ever made! All of my collegues have standing orders that if I ever start wanting to be a principal to slap me just as hard as they can. NO WAY will I ever be an administrator.

I do regret never giving medical school a try...

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
        Moved to Tokyo, surrounded by Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, and Ibaraki, 35 million people in a 100 diameter mile circle and 99.99% of them only speak Japanese!
        At least that way, you won't have to worry about talking to all of 'em. I tried to learn Japanese because of my heavy involvement in martial arts, but to no avail. Tried Rosetta Stone and other software, books and even privately tutored lessons... nada. I think I'm allergic to it. This is one southern redneck who's gonna be happy just to master the English language...

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.
          • Delta Industrial Hybrid

After having 5 older brothers and sisters that have all been divorced. I promised myself I would never get divorced. Not only did I fail at that once but I am the middle of my second one.

I used to race motorcross for 6 years and never once broke a bone. (Quite out of character for me being a former jock.) When the big double jumps got popular I watched friend after friend get busted up on them. That was time for me to quit.
          Scott
          "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• DonHo
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
            • Craftsman 21829

I swore I'd never jump out of a perfectly good working airplane. I never have and I won't

DonHo
            Don

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

As soon as I was old enough to have a choice I said I would never eat liver and onions again.

I said I would never smoke cigarettes but I have had a cigar a few times.

After I spent a few winters in NC I said I would never go back to NY in winter. That's been true for 15 years, but I have gone to Wisconsin for Christmas.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...