• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

America In Black and White

Yep and we rode in the back of pickups - shot each other with BB Guns - we drank out of the garden hose when it was hot outside - we shared cokes and never passed any dreaded diseases to each other - we caught craw fish and cooked them over an open fire and then we actually ate them - we caught frogs and cooked their legs and ate them too - and the fishing in the pond came out the same way - we cooked the fish and ate them as well. We met and enjoyed friends from every neighborhood - we never stayed in the house unless we were "grounded" and we all developed great imaginations playing our silly games. We shot each other with "pea shooters" and we had a great time together. Fortunately the government did not tell us what we could or could not do - our parents did that job. And they did it well. And son - of - a - gun - we all had leaded paint all around us. Maybe that is why we were so stupid as to have such a great life and so much fun!

And believe it or not most people, including politicians, were mostly honest and ethical and polite to one another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black and White
    (Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,
    Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
    Pull a chair up to the TV set,

'Good Night, David.
    Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

To all who didn't share this era, sorry for what you missed.

I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Amen to that, Don

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

I will add an Amen as well.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Been there as a kid, and still trying to be there as an adult. It all went wrong about the time when "dungarees" became "jeans", "sneakers" became "athletic shoes", and phones quit havin' dialers, etc, etc,etc.

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Originally posted by Whaler
          I will add an Amen as well.
          Same here.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

We managed without computers, microwaves or fax machines. You could leave your doors unlocked, and a man's word was as good as gold. How did we all survive that??

Comment

• AAJIII
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • WANAQUE, NJ, USA.
              • Steel City 10" table saw

Amen Pappy, makes me wish I had a Way Back machine.

AL
              AL JEWELL

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

America in black and white

Yeah Pappy, Amen to that! sounds like my own neighborhood and the days when I was growing up in the 50's as well. Those thoughts bring back a lot
                of old, good memories of days gone by. eezlock

Comment

Working...