Clear All
  • RickD1
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2006
    • Southern California
    • BT3100

Sad Day

Today,

My newly licenced driver got in an accident in the rain today with my 1983 Toyota 4X4 Pickup. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the accident, and he was not at fault. I'm the original owner (yes, it is a 1983). I knew there was a very good statistical chance that he would get in an accident before he turned 24, I just wasn't prepared for it to happen this soon. I thought if he got in an accident with the Toy, it would be no big loss as it has paid for itself many times over. Repairs will run in the $2500 to $3000 range. I guess it is finally time to retire the old truck. It never left me stranded even when the fuel pump was not working right, or the transmission was failing. It has hauled more than it's fair share of plywood, tile, thin set, and demolition debries. LOML will be happy to finally see it go. She does not understand what I see in that old truck.
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm glad everyone is okay still. I totaled my mothers car shortly after I got my license, too - not my fault, but it just had to happed on Mother's Day! I was pretty shook up for a while...

I know how hard it is with the car, too. I just can't seem to get rid of my '87 RX-7 and it's just sitting out there on the driveway... My wife thinks I'm crazy...
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

Glad to hear your Son was not hurt in the accident. Vehicles can be replaced, loved ones cannot.
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Glad all are well, the Yota must be retired and that is sad.... on the bright side, santa may bring you a nice shiny new truck
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I feel your pain... I share ownership of an old Nissan P/U that I use for dump runs, flea market runs (and picking up new tools! ). It is also my back-up transportation for when the Lincoln is in the shop (more often than I wanna think about). It sits idle for weeks at a time, and then just starts up and runs whenever I need it, without complaint. I have overloaded it numerous times, and still it gets me there and brings me home again. I would let my son drive my Lincoln, but he better not even think of driving my truck!

My sincere condolences on your loss. I hope you can find one just as good to replace her...

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

Sorry to hear that. I have had six Toy 4x4s and two 4Runners. My current daily driver is an '89 Toy 4x4 with 240,000 miles on it. It's getting kinda rusty here in the rust belt, but it still runs great. I feel your loss and suggest you replace it soon with another Toy. I had an '81 and loved it, but my favorite years are '89-'91. They are bulletproof and don't rust as bad as the earlier trucks.

Comment

• jtrcy
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005

I had an 83 2WD pickup, an 85 four-runner and a 95 Tacoma. Love those toyotas! I've been driving a 98 Dodge 4x4 1500 for the last 6 years, put 85,000 on it since I bought it with 55,000 - so far, so good.

Never go back to a tiny truck as my main transpo, but I'd have a little fourrunner to bang around in if not for the fact that I inherited my Grandfather's 90 Suburban, and I don't think I really need (3) vehicles!

I think the new Tundra's are the nicest looking full size 4x4's out there right now, but not looking to get into a car payment just yet...

JT

Comment

• Scottydont
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I'm am glad your son wasn't hurt. I had an old ford F250 with over 240,000 miles who earned her keep before I sold her to someone a couple of years ago with a 10 acre hobby farm where she could live out her days roaming free grazing as she pleased.

Good times, good times.

Scott
                "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Oh come on! It is just a bunch of sheet metal, plastic and nuts and bolts.....and gee, I wish I had some of my old piles of sheet metal back.

I know what you mean.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• RickD1
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Southern California
                    • BT3100

Thanks

Thanks for the understanding and concerns. Young son is feeling pretty bad about wrecking the truck.

I have explained that the most important thing is he is alright, and that experiance is something you get right after you need it.

Comment

Working...