• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Deserve A Darwin Award

This had to be one of those craft (can't remember a f&%#ing thing) moments.

I got a new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, thanks to the input from you guys about suggestions. It has a two part rear door. The rear glass can be lifted by itself, or the whole door and glass can be lifted at once.

Here's what happened. I've had to take one of my German Shepherds to the Vet several times since she fractured her leg. She is so energetic, that getting her into and out of the back has been a disaster. When getting her in, she wants to jump in as soon as it opens, and getting her out the same. Well, it opens enough for her to get going, but not wide enough or soon enough for me to control her. So, the other day I had a brainstorm. When putting her in, I stepped on her leash while the door was opening. When it was high enough, I tried to lift her in. She is about 80 lbs and not that big a deal lifting, but, I couldn't budge her off the ground. I put all I had into it and nothing. Tried again and thought I would bust a gut. Then, I realized I was still standing on the leash...duh. She had this look on her face that said "What's wrong daddy?

When my wife got home I was hesitant about telling her how stupid I was, but told her anyway. Couldn't stop laughing.
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

It's called "bootstraping"

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

To really be a Darwin Award contender serious bodily harm has to be involved. So, fortunately, you're out of the running.

On the other hand, you could be asked, "Where's your sign?"
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by germdoc
        On the other hand, you could be asked, "Where's your sign?"

You mean like this one?

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Cabinetman, that's ok. I was on the mower today mulching up leaves and just about the time I thought I should be careful not to hit the 100' cord that lights the candy canes at the end of the driveway... well, now I have 2 cords - or will once I put ends on the pieces.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Not even close to a Darwin Award, but how about my latest senior moment.

While building cripple walls for the garage I installed the studs (about 4.5 ft high) on the backend of the garage. Then installed a block between the two studs. Then remembering that I had left a crowbar under the garage I grabbed those two studs to pull myself up onto the foundation. I tend to move at a pretty rapid pace and if you haven't guessed it yet I pulled my head right into that block between the two studs.

My next thought was, "What am I doing lying on the ground?" Yep, knocked myself right out. I have 3" of missing skin on the top of my head to prove it. I kind of gave myself a Mohawk haircut, but in reverse. I am currently blaming it on the ball hat that I was wearing. Lucky there wasn't a nail exposed. The shower I took that night was a real experience.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

I"m making some built in cabinets for the basement. Since the basement walls are as straight as Capone, I have been framing the cabinets on the floor and standing them up in place. I was doing fine until I came to the last section-a small closet and shelf section. Seven feet tall. Fine until I went to stand it up under the 6"-10" ducting. Creative manuvering came into play.

I'm getting my sign for Christmas.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Hearing these "senior moments" reminds me of an escapade I had in my roof. I was single at the time and wanted to have cable at the other end of the house. So, I took a few tools with me up the scuttle into the attic. The cable was accessible at the East end (about 5' from the scuttle). Attached a new splitter and off I went to the West end, with a coil of cable, crawling on the rafters, being careful not to step in between.

This was in July - August, and it was about 95+ degrees out at 10 AM. As I got closer to the other end, the roof pitched down and the rafters and joists tapered down to nothing at the edge of the roof. I didn't have to go that far, but almost. I had my tools in my back pocket, and as I crawled through while it was getting tighter, I got stuck. I couldn't back up, turn around, or go forward, because the tools got hooked on a rafter, and I couldn't reach around to get to them.

Well, I thought that sooner or later I'd get found, Maybe dogs in the neighborhood will start barking due to the smell of a rotted body in the heat of summer. I stayed stuck for a couple of hours trying to get loose. I was sweating it out, literally. Kinda reminded me of some military training that I thought would kill me. What finally happened was, I got so sweated up and slippery, that I was able to get myself loose. I was just a bit too proud to start yelling for help.

Comment

• cobob
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Rolla, MO, USA.
                  • BT3100

Brings to mind the Julie Brown lyrics

B L O N D
                  Don't you wish you were me
                  I took an IQ test, & I flunked it of course
                  I can't spell V.W. but I drive a porsch
                  cause I'm a blonde
                  yeah, yeah, yeah

I've always wanted to be a veterinarian because I really love children.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Cab, your story reminds me of the time I spent 14 hours troubleshooting a Solaris OS load that I couldn't get started, at hour 14 my team leader asked me to type out the command I was using to start the OS load

boot -net install

well the command is

boot - net install

that little space cost me a day, and quite a bit of pride at the office the next day

It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

Working...