X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Need advice on woodworking hobby future

As I mentioned in another thread, on Black Friday I severely cut the index finger on my right hand. Ironically, I did it after I had finished demolition on a 12x20 leanto my wife's grandfather built which was attached to my shop. The leanto was im very bad shape. I tore it down as much for safety as for asthetics.

After finishing that job, I walked next door to the in-laws to help with the installation of a new LG upright washer and dryer. The delivery guys were real @$$holes and refused to install the vent pipe for the dryer the way it needed to be done and the way my FIL paid to have it done. In a moment of frustration, I decided to install it myself. While popping out the cover for the vent, my hand either slipped or got caught, and the sheet metal of the dryer cut into the top of my finger at the first nuckle. I believe the cut went to the bone and actually down the finger and behind the nail bed.

I went to a "doc in a box" since the ER's around here will only hurry if you are on your death bed. The staff at the PriMed was very professional and did what I feel to be an excellent job. The doctor who stitched me up was/is very concerned about the possibility of me losing the tip of the finger. Follow up today seems to be good, so that isn't an issue...I hope.

I get the stitches out in about 7 to 10 more days. Here's where the advice comes in. I have very little feeling in the finger, and I am right handed, which makes it worse. I may have ligament damage as well. I know it has only been a couple of days, but I am very certain that I have nerve damage that may not heal.

Do you guys think that this could cause a dangerous situation for me in the workshop? Both my wife and I are afraid that because of the damage and lack of feeling, I may get myself into a bad spot and not know it until blood is everywhere. As much as it pains me to think that I may have to give up the hobby, I will if I need to. Unfortunately for me, my other hobby was music, specifically the trumpet, which is a right handed instrument as well.

Any input is appreciated. I am grateful that it isn't any worse, and as Bruce mentioned on Friday, there are worse things that could have happened.

BTW: If I do have to get out, I'll post tools for sale here and let you guys have first crack before CL & the bay. Thanks for "hearing" me out.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have been put in a splint the entire time I have stiches. The unharmed nuckle is already getting tight.
    Last edited by JSUPreston; 11-25-2007, 09:52 PM.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Give yourself a chance to heal and see how your finger operates a few weeks after it seems to be completely healed externally. As for your future as a woodworker many people are active in the hobby with more severe handicaps than a finger with diminished feeling. The main thing about most handicaps is knowing your limitations and working to your limits without exceeding them.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

My suggestion would be to stop freaking out about it until you see how well it heals. That way, you will only have to deal with the reality of it, and not all these things your mind is dredging up right now. Most of the important nerves and vessels in your fingers would not be exposed to an injury in this area. Whatever the outcome, you will adapt. Calm yourself and those around you, and think positively. You'd be surprised how much good that can do for your recovery. Heck, plenty of us on here can only count 8 or 9 or 9-1/2.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Canada.

I agree - it's far too early to make a call on this. I'd be more worried about your ability to play the trumpet for the next couple of weeks, and I'd be willing to be that won't be a problem after that time.

I have a significant injury on my right hand and a whole bunch of it is numb lots of the time. It doesn't mean I have to run it through the table saw. I don't let it dictate what I do. I play guitars and pianos and it didn't help, but it hasn't made it impossible either. I just don't think it has to be a problem. A nuisance? Sure. But this is going to be an easy one to get over.

If you want I'll trade you
        Andrew

Comment

• linear
          • May 2004
          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Definitely don't make any decisions for a while.

I'm a piano player--all my nightmares involve damage to my hands. But see where your injury lands you before you take any action at all.
          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I agree it is way too early to decide this. My opinion would be that regardless of how well it heals, if you had safe work habits before the finger got hurt you will have them after. More than likely if you loose feeling you will be even more safe. Whether or not you have feeling in that finger if your work habits are such that you routinely risk losing fingers you probably shouldn't be woodworking.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Another vote to wait a bit and see how well the finger heals. I hacked half way through my right index finger eons ago, cutting part-way through the extensor tendon and down to the bone. Nerve damage? Don't know... but while it was stiched and in "tube bandages" the finger seemed to have lost a fair bit of feeling, temperature sensitivity, etc. It turns out the vast majority of that was due to the bandage itself - just pinching the finger as if you snugly tied a string around it causes nerves to not work after a while. Once the tube bandage came off the fingertip sensitivity returned 100%. There is some loss of motion (I can't flex that knuckle all the way now) but I never notice it when working, when typing (!), etc. I type a lot too; there was NO retraining/practice or acclimation necessary once the stupid tube bandage came off.

mpc

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

IF you have damage to your finger I repeat IF, the only limitations that you will have is the ones you set for yourself. You will have to get used to the situation for sure, but you will still be able to do everything you are doing now. I work with farmers, and the nature of that work is that accidents do happen to them. I know several that have missing finger tips, and entire missing fingers. I know one fellow that only has part of one finger and most of his thumb . He is a very hard worker and very little slows him down. My own father has a finger that he severed a ligament while throwing a junk tv on a truck while cleaning out his brothers house after he died. The finger is stiff and he has little movement in it, but he is so good at using his hands, that I forget about his damaged finger. He is 87.

In short, what ever this has thrown at you, you can handle it. One important thing though. they will probably give you some exercises and therapy. Do this religously, and you will have the best results possible.

Good luck!
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have a 1st cousin that almost severed his finger off (hanging) on an old style lawn-mower 35 years ago. The nerves were severed and he was told he would not be able to perform his job as a "draftsman" again. He retired as a "draftsman" 5 years ago.

Richard Jones, a friend and professional wood-worker cut his finger off as an apprentice in England 40 years ago. He went on to have his own custom furniture shop in Houston for many years before returning to England to teach Woodworking at one of their colleges. Fairly common amongst those that are around machinery as a living.

I would re-read what Bill Meyer posted as the Sky is not necessarily falling. Get your finger off the panic button and get to work rehabilatating it to see just how far you can go. I have a feeling it will be much farther than you seem to anticipate currently.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get goiing"! .........

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Thanks for all the input and encouragement. I figured if anyone had good advice, it would be you guys.

Needless to say, I've been a source of humor at the office today. Everyone assumes that it was a saw that got me...they can't believe it was the sheet metal of a dryer.

As soon as the swelling goes down and stitches come out, I will invest in a pair of mechanics gloves to supplement the work gloves I already have. Hopefully I won't do this again anytime soon.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Look at it this way.... You now have a finger to poke and prod things that hadn't ought to be poked or prodded and it won't hurt as much.

bill, there is a plus side to everything

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                        Look at it this way.... You now have a finger to poke and prod things that hadn't ought to be poked or prodded and it won't hurt as much.
                        I suppose that would depend on whether you are the prodder or the proddee...

Comment

• BasementDweller
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2004
                          • PA.
                          • nt3100.001

Just a quick note. My dad after at least 30 years of hobby woodworking cut the tips off three of his fingers a couple years ago. I'm happy to report he is back in the shop and working away again. He has a bit of a hard time griping some things but all in all, he doens't complain.

About the most he'll say is: "Man was that stupid."

Don't let a mistake rob you of something you enjoy. . . on the other hand, if you don't enjoy it you have a great excuss to outsource!

- BD
                          Click. . . Hey, turn the lights back on! I'm still down here!
                          http://www.teraflax.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by BasementDweller
                            Don't let a mistake rob you of something you enjoy. . . on the other hand, if you don't enjoy it you have a great excuss to outsource!
                            Your Freudian slip is showing...

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                              Both my wife and I are afraid that because of the damage and lack of feeling, I may get myself into a bad spot and not know it until blood is everywhere.
                              I think reaction time of the nervous system is such that, if we have to depend on sensitivity in our fingers to get ourselves out of a "bad spot," we're doomed to sever all our fingers.

The brain is the most important safety device we have. The eyes are a close second.

I predict you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...