X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bojack
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Workmate 425 or 525 input needed

I am needing to purchase a portable work surface/tabletop. I have been looking at the B&D WM425 & WM525. Any opinions or suggestions or other brands to consider? The spec says they will handle 450+ pounds. I am tired of working off of the floor, would like to save my back & knees.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Bill
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Check out the skil 3100 x bench. it has alot of features for a portable workbench. it is much larger when unfolded than either of those two.

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...-01&cid=192170

They are a new release so they are a little hard to find right now. as soon as a local store has one I'm buying it.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• frumper64
      Established Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Garland, Tx, USA.

How about the one from Home Depot

The Borg sells one with x shaped legs that I have and really like. It it quite light, but really sturdy and strong. It doesn't have the clamping capabilities of the workmates, but I tend to reach for it on a pretty frequent basis
      Jim
      64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• tedkitch
        • Jul 2006
        • NE Suburbs, Chicago
        • Ryobi BT3100 What else is there?

Here is a link to the table that was mentioned above. I have one and it is a very good work surface. However, after looking at the link for the Skil 3100 bench I must say that is going on my Christmas list.
        Ted Kitch

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I prefer the 425 style or the 225 style over the 525 or 125. The one I have (craigslist find) is closer to the 225, but an older model number. I found it to be most useful as a portable clamping table or miter saw station. The only real downfall, is only having one, and having to take your stuff out of it for clamping operations. I believe the 425 has three separate top sections, that you remove the middle for clamping operations. I know my fathers $10 garage sale find, model 400, only had two when he received it, and mine also only has two.

As to the Skill workbench, I use my EZ Smart table, or my sawhorses, in that reguard.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            I believe the 425 has three separate top sections, that you remove the middle for clamping operations.
            I have one in the 500 range (550?) and it has three separate top sections. As annoying as they can be, they lend a lot more versatility.

There are tons of plans out there for things that work with workmates--router tables, bench tool platforms, router jointers, etc.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I was given 2 of these from Sears for Christmas several years ago. Sturdy and easily height adjustable to use clamping, assembly, or infeed/outfeed tables.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...es%2C+Clamping
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

Working...