• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Just say "no" to cruising Craigslist !

Sold my BT a few months back and bought a Delta contractor's saw after picking up the Bies fence package on clearance. Been very happy with it and have it set up now with an outfeed table / cabinet and a router table/cabinet.

So why I go sniffing around craigslist, I don't know. Today of course a UNISAW pops up there. Used 1991 version for $780 with Bies fence and 55" cutting capacity, 3HP.

I don't want / need that. I have a saw. But at the same time, I wish I'd never seen that ad ! haha

Anyone in the Knoxville area in the market ?

Steve
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I do feel your pain, Steve, but I would never been able to afford the over-tooling I have done without CraigsList, and have found some tremendous bargains there. I have finally developed some self-control, so I keep a grip on my wallet now.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes those deals come along and give you the urge to trade a tool that you're really happy with.

Last summer I stumbled onto a 10 year old Grizzly 1023 in nice shape for $500. It's exactly the type of deal that I thought it'd take to get me to part with my current 22124 "zipcode" saw. I fretted for a few hours over this deal and came to the realization that the timing was wrong, and I just didn't feel right about it. I was relieved once I finally decided to take a pass. My head knows that the 1023 is a more substantial machine, but I'm fond of my 22124 and I've got my router table and all the outfeed tables setup all around it, it's left tilt vs right, and has 44" of cast iron surface vs 40". At that moment in time, my heart made the choice...I just wasn't willing to give up any of the "amenities" and that "new car smell" on my 22124 for the added power and robustness of the 1023. Some other day....who knows?

I still torment myself browsing Craigslist though....
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ssmith1627
        • Dec 2005
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I found my jointer there so it has it's plusses. But it sure can be torture too !

Steve

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

i know how you feel. i feel that way about my TS. i wish i had known about CL before i purchased my TS, thickness planer and a few other tools. i could have saved a bundle! i found out CL when i was shopping for jointer/planer, but after a couple of weeks, i went to HD and bought a new one. ofcourse, only to find less expensive ones almost two weeks after.

so CL not a bad thing to keep looking, but that needs time and i am not much of an internet guy, so its time consuming to me. if i want something else next, i will search online for a month or so before i go out and buy.

happy cruising!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I've said it before, I'll say it again....

The grass is always greener on the other side.......
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

It must be nice to have a CL that actually has something other than broken chainsaws, lawmowers, and weedwhackers for sale.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I like it. If you pay attention you can get some deals. I found a very nice generator transfer switch NIB, I got free kitchen cabinets that are in my shop and I got my jointer off Craigslist. The jointer was dirty and had a little rust from being in a garage but it was never really used - the label was still on the fence.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Corryton, TN, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Guys, I like craigslist too. I posted this in the around the coffee pot forum because I wasn't trying to make any serious point. More of a "oh why do I torture myself so" kinda thing. Craigslist really is a great way to buy tools because it's local, you're not buying stuff that would be hard to ship, you see it before you buy it, you find good deals on used equip, etc. I look there a lot and very little at Ebay any more. The only downside being I find more than I really want to know is available ! lol

Steve

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                    Guys, I like craigslist too. I posted this in the around the coffee pot forum because I wasn't trying to make any serious point. More of a "oh why do I torture myself so" kinda thing. Craigslist really is a great way to buy tools because it's local, you're not buying stuff that would be hard to ship, you see it before you buy it, you find good deals on used equip, etc. I look there a lot and very little at Ebay any more. The only downside being I find more than I really want to know is available ! lol

Steve
                    Totally there. But like you said, its a torture.

For example, I have been overspending the last couple of months just for some or the WW stuff (to the point that I got scared of looking at my CC statements), so I have had to go on cold-turkey till end of year.

So logically I should stay away from surfing all these sites, particularly CL, right? But I do look, and sigh.

eg : http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org...70072829.html; keep wondering what all I might have found at his shop . But ...got...to...stay...away...
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
                      For example, I have been overspending the last couple of months just for some or the WW stuff (to the point that I got scared of looking at my CC statements), so I have had to go on cold-turkey till end of year.

So logically I should stay away from surfing all these sites, particularly CL, right?
                      Actually, in your case, CL might be a good thing, because almost all the deals are cash only (if you ain't got it, you ain't spendin' it...). It's those Amazon deals and other online sales that can give your credit cards a hernia...

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I wish there were a few good deals on the craigslist here. Most of the offerings around here are either junk or way over priced. But, I'll keep looking.

Comment

• jtrcy
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2005

The grass is always greener on the other side.......[/QUOTE]

Specially in the case of the Festool deal I found on CL a month ago:

Picked up:
                          TS55, Trion Jigsaw, 6" Rotex sander, CT-22 vac + ton of accessories for $800.00

Was $1835 retail of Festool items - and they were all new. Sad story, guy was going to start a business building custom homes - and than he passed away. His brother and widow researched the stuff and priced it all at 50% off. Amazing deal!

A few other CL deals:

Rol-air 4hp Honda gas air compressor - new $609, on CL for $125.
                          Porter Cable 4 hinge template setup - New, $279, CL for $100
                          Makita 16" 64cc gas chainsaw, new $577, CL for $125

There's got to be more, just can't think about them right at the moment. Some people watch tv, I waste a lot of time browsing CL.

Julian

Comment

• goslin23
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Richmond, TX
                            • Rigid TS3650

The LOML and I use CL quite a lot. I've yet to jump on any tools that I've seen (usually a cash flow issue), but we've picked up an exercise machine, some furniture items, an electronic drum set (was going to be my work out machine) and little odds and ends. We've also sold many items through CL. I do feel a bit tortured as well when I see a great power tool bargain and I don't have the cash....

-=gos=-
                            If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Zenaca
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Idaho

I picked up a pellett stove with all the pipe and 2 bags of pelletts for $100

stove lists for $2800
                              pipe lists for $500

I really like crusing the list!

Bud

Comment

Working...