• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

An Excuse for Linux?

I am building my wife's website. The hosting service runs Linux and therefore I will need MySQL for Linux. Can I develop on and port a Windows MySQL database file directly to Linux? Or do I need to install Linux at home?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

I'd say sure why not but you can also do it this way:

All the same stuff but runs on windows. Ports right over to the Linux side without issues..

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Now that is cool! thanks Bill. I will check it out.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Ah... another question answered before I even knew I needed to ask it. Thanks it solves a problem I expect I will be running into soon.

Bill

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Just install MySQL Query Browser and MySQL Administrator on your windows machine and use it to connect to the database at your host's server. his is what I do -- It works just as if the server is on the same machine. There's no need to install a LAMP stack or linux or MySQL on your local machine at all.

See here for Windows software and for links to these two apps.

Also if you're using Visual Studio, check out the VS tools and connector also on the same page. The tools package integrates MySQL development into Visual Studio.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

Depending on what type of website your going to construct you may not need a database at all.
            If your being forced into using PHP then yes you may need to use it. Even then you can construct a website with PHP and not use a mysql database at all. To answer your question yes you can build a Mysql database on windows then import it into a Mysql database in Linux.
            I would advise against allowing remote Mysql connections as this is a security issue unless you use VERY strong passwords.
            Last edited by sparkeyjames; 11-03-2007, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
              I would advise against allowing remote Mysql connections as this is a security issue unless you use VERY strong passwords.
              It's a good point. My host locks down the database servers so they're only accessible from certain IP addresses. I had to submit a ticket to get my IP addy added to the list so I could access it remotely.

Also if you haven't tried VMware (or some other virtual machine software) yet, it might be a good excuse to do it. There are some great vm applications that you can download and have a pre-configured system right out fo the box.
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                Depending on what type of website your going to construct you may not need a database at all..
                Well this is going to be a personal training website. Loose idea right now is levels of access based on what $$ the user chooses to subscribe at. So at miminum would need to be able to track who has paid what and therefore what content they are allowed to see.
                David

Comment

• skipwill
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Columbia, SC, USA.

What Alex said!

VMWare has free editions of vmserver and vmplayer and you can get "already setup" versions of Ubuntu and other versions of Linux that you don't even have to install. Just download the vm 'appliance' and its ready to run . It works really nice under windows.

Skip

Skip
                  www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

Working...