• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Every Time I

cross the mountains I am amazed at the number of people who don't realize that a 30-ton big rig doesn't stop on a dime on a 5% downgrade. And that is if his brakes aren't broke. Seems like the people least aware of this are the ones in the smallest cars. This trip's award for stupidity goes to the driver of the Nissan 350Z who nearly put his car into the guardrail after watching an 18-wheeler fill up his rearview mirror.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I see it all the time. Big Rigs are not always responsible for the accidents, more times than no it is a Passanger Vehicle of some type whose driver are suffring from Crainial Rectal Inversion and do something stupid.

Tom

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

30 ton????? Guess the trucks in your area must run around only 2/3 loaded! Out here in the wild wild west our trucks carry 30+ tons of freight! GCVW 105,500 pounds. 5% is just a moderate incline. On US 95 dropping into Lewiston Idaho we have 7% several miles long with a 40 MPH corner at the bottom.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        30 ton?????.
        That was just a guesstimate. Looks like it was a little low. Anyway, this joker almost got himself squished.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I remember the time I was training a new hire and on his second day we were going down a small slope pulling a set with 30 tons of wood pellets and theis dumb-donkey's-rear-end driver of a little rice burner decides to change lanes and stop in front of me! How I kept from smashing him I'll never know but boy howdy was I talking, yelling actually, like the truck driver that I was!
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

I am sure those of you that pull large RV trailers and Motorhomes are familiar with this topic. Since buying and pulling a 5th wheel trailer I have become a much more tolerant and safer driver, even when driving a car. I have lost count of the number of times I have been cut off and had to "Emergency Stop" for underwear changes while towing my RV.

Now when I drive on the freeways and see a large truck trying to change lanes and none of the dunderheads will give em a break, I always do.

Those truck drivers must have the patience of a Saint. They have my respect.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• messmaker
              Veteran Member
              • May 2004
              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
              • Ridgid 2424

I think speed kills but it is often slow speed. I hate drivers that drive at 1/2 the speed limit and think that it is OK. They are not involved in the accident but are the root cause.
              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• dick541
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2004
                • Stoneville, north carolina, USA.
                • BT3100

Back in 1976 I rented a tractor & trailer to move from PA to NC. Three trips total 2600 miles,and I learned a lot about truck driving. I have a lot of respect for all big rig drivers. I trust most of them more than any other drivers on the road. I wish every body that gets a drivers licence had to drive a big rig for about 50 miles including going thru a city at rush hour. They would have more respect for the trucks out on the hiway.
                dick

Comment

Working...