I may have found it... UPDATED: HELP NEEDED!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

I may have found it... UPDATED: HELP NEEDED!

I have found a 1995 Toyota 4Runner 2WD for $2500. It is a one owner vehicle with a sparkly clean Carfax report. It has 152,000 miles, but it should still have a lot of life in it. The only "dings" is that is has a bit of body rust and the rear hatch has some issues. I think I should be able to fix the hatch and the looks don't matter to me.

I need "good thoughts" and prayers, as the seller has two people in front of me lined up to look at it. Let's all hope and pray they don't like it!

Last edited by Sam Conder; 10-25-2007, 05:27 AM. Reason: Fact correcting (vehicle year) + Added pic
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
  • Stan
    • Mar 2004
    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Best of luck with that one Sam, hope it works out for ya.
    From the NW corner of Montana.
    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• smc331
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2003
      • Charlotte, NC, USA.
      • BT3100

An abundance of good thoughts and prayers from North Carolina - hope this is the right one!
      Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Sounds like a winner. The rust can be stopped with one of the 'rust converter' products from Loc-tite and Rustoleum. The first is clear and the second is flat black.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Positive vibes all around...

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Good luck on that Sam. I hope you get it, and get another 152,000 miles on it.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Is it a V6 or 4cyl? if it's a 4 cyl (22re engine) then it's due for a timing chain. otherwise they are almost bulletproof.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

152k on a Toyota 4-cylinder is nothing, particularly with the five-speed. Great, great power train.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

The only data I can relate on a 4 Runner, is that I have a friend that bought a new one in '94. It may be just a quirk for that particular one, but it has had head gasket problems, and I think the dealer changed out the engine. The 152,000 mileage is pretty high. Maybe have a qualified mechanic check it out with those round things that have numbers and needles, or the newfangled digital thingies.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                    Woodworker Once More
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Midway, KY
                    • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    The only data I can relate on a 4 Runner, is that I have a friend that bought a new one in '94. It may be just a quirk for that particular one, but it has had head gasket problems, and I think the dealer changed out the engine. The 152,000 mileage is pretty high. Maybe have a qualified mechanic check it out with those round things that have numbers and needles, or the newfangled digital thingies.
                    Hopefully it was a quirk or a problem with the '94s. I agree that 152k is high, but unless I want to buy a Kia, I'm not going to be able to avoid high mileage on my budget.

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                    Is it a V6 or 4cyl? if it's a 4 cyl (22re engine) then it's due for a timing chain. otherwise they are almost bulletproof.
                    It's a V6.

Originally posted by gwyneth
                    152k on a Toyota 4-cylinder is nothing, particularly with the five-speed. Great, great power train.
                    It's an automatic. I wish it were a standard, but again I ain't gonna be picky!

Thanks everyone!
                    Sam Conder

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

Looks like it has near-new tires. That alone is worth $500. Good luck.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Sam Conder
                        Woodworker Once More
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Midway, KY
                        • Delta 36-725T2

Originally posted by messmaker
                        Looks like it has near-new tires. That alone is worth $500. Good luck.
                        Yup...

And the interior looks pretty clean...

Sam Conder

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Looks really good for a car that age with those miles. Hope that it works out well for you.

Toyota does have a good reputation (both cars in my house have Toyota powertrains, even if one has a GM badge on it). You should get at least a few more years from it.

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

It sure looks like it was well cared for!

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

This is one of the many Toyotas that have the V6 engine that developed head gasket and other problems. Although Toyota did not recall those vehicles, they repaired or replaced the engines free of charge and I think it did not have a mileage limit. You may want to ask the owner if the engine was changed by Toyota and also call a Toyota dealer and ask if that program is still alive. They should be able to tell you if that particular vehicle ever had the engine changed out as well.

I had a friend with that exact same vehicle and it had 240,000 miles on it when he sold it. It had the same V6 engine that never developed any problems.
                              RAGS
                              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...