Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

High fructose corn syrup, trans fats, etc etc etc. All part of the processed food industry. All lead to health problems.

But eating too much and exercising too little is still the major problem.

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by jking
      Come to the Iowa State Fair next summer. You'd be hard pressed to find more overweight people in one place, and the thing to do is eat deep fried anything.
      THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH MY DEEP-FAT FRIED TWINKE FOR LUNCH AND DEEP-FAT FRIED SNICKERS FOR DINNER!!!

It is only for 10 days out of 365, how bad can that be!

J/K I've only been to the fair a couple of times but I swear to you I sure had a nice shine when I sweat
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by MilDoc
        Yeah. She can. She just doesn't want to. Food is her life, rather than life-giving.
        Well actually, I don't know a single morbidly obese person that doesn't want to lose weight. But statistically she is right, she can't lose the weight.

I've lost 150# on WW and kept it off. But I'm RNT (Results Not Typical).

I'm always happy to discuss how I did it when someone asks me. But I'm extra careful to avoid being judgemental towards friends and family that have been unable to lose weight.
        Last edited by cgallery; 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Originally posted by mschrank
          It just doesn't work that way anymore.
          I'm sorry to say that you're right on that. They were talking about that situation a few days ago on TV. They said there is a trend for mothers trying to find a way to stay home with their children now, and get out of the workplace. For the most part, families were better off when it did work that way, IMHO.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by cgallery
            Well actually, I don't know a single morbidly obese person that doesn't want to lose weight.
            My point is that they can if they want too.

But food addiction is as powerful as alcohol, drugs, nicotine, and everything else. And people want a quick cure.

Thus: gastric bypass. Stomach-banding. Lots of worthless over-the-counter "medicines" that don't work.

And the effects of gastric bypass? 25-30% regain all the weight lost in 5-7 years. Far too many do not change their eating habits overall. And far too many don't take seriously the health consequences of not taking vitamins and other supplements for life.

If you want to lose you can. Richard Simmons and "The Biggest Loser" proved that. but it's hard, it takes work, and it takes denial of what you love - food.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I stay away from fast food if possible, but in my work, sometimes I don't have time but for a quick meal on the run.

Now the clincher for Japan. Several times over the years I have gone into a FF restaurant here and ordered a Kids meal "to go" only to be told that I am not a kid! I have to reply that it is a take out for my "grandchild."

Occasionally, some foods are only bundled in "sets." I hate that when I need a small meal for lunch.

This would help the US diet: CHOP STICKS!
              Last edited by leehljp; 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MilDoc

Nah Hank. In the U.S chop sticks would be shaped like shovels! Supersized like everything else!

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

It's a little early to report yet, but I've lost 10 pounds in just over a month following the Superfoods Rx suggestions for healthier choices.

What I'm really encouraged about is the total volume of food I eat has probably gone up some, so I feel fuller, even though my calorie intake as probably dropped some. I've tried just cutting back before and I'd feel tired, grouchy, and irritable. This time I actually have more energy.
                  - Chris.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by docrowan
                    It's a little early to report yet, but I've lost 10 pounds in just over a month following the Superfoods Rx suggestions for healthier choices.
                    Good choice! "Superfoods" are real, unprocessed, foods, good for health as well as weight loss and maintenance. They provide fiber to help with satiety, plenty of phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc. Unlike the "average" diet that no one can stick to, the "superfood" diet is actually healthy, unlike the overly processed, nutrient deficient, and fattening "foods" most people eat.

Now, stick with it, even after you lose weight!

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

I live in Sacramento, Calif. We have a large population of Aisian imigrants. What I have noticed is the people who imigrated here in the early 80's are tiny and the first and second genertion of American born are a lot larger. It has to be the food and health care they receive here. Compare a 20 old from Aisia in the 80's to one now and you can see the diferance. Both of my Boys are taller than I by a couple of inches and one is way over weight. From what I have seen we are fatter people than we used to be. To much computer, fast food and TV no exercise. I am fighting to loose the 20# I gained 30 years ago when I was fit and active and now has turned to flab. 180 and fit at 35 doesn't work at 65 and not as fit or as active. Some of the stuff I did at 35 I am now paying the price for at 65 physically.

Tom

Comment

• MilDoc

Metabolism also slows with age making it far easier to gain weight as we get less active. And far harder to lose, too. If, at 60, you eat like you did at 35, with no other changes, you will gain weight.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Not quite. When your health problems start costing thousands a year, it's everyone's problem.
                          I disagree. I've paid in hundreds of thousands in insurance over the years, so I figure I've contributed more than my share. Problem is, that money was squandered in profiteering by the insurance industry, instead of being invested for my future needs. So blame them, not me. Food is one of my few passions, and I don't think my eating habits will cost the world near as much in healthcare as those devotees of modern chemistry or other unnatural addictions, or industrial pollution, or any of a dozen other things.
                          Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 10-24-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            I disagree. I've paid in hundreds of thousands in insurance over the years, so I figure I've contributed more than my share. Problem is, that money was squandered in profiteering by the insurance industry, instead of being invested for my future needs. So blame them, not me. Food is one of my few passions, and I don't think my eating habits will cost the world near as much in healthcare as those devotees of modern chemistry or other unnatural addictions, or industrial pollution, or any of a dozen other things.
                            Hundreds of thousands? gee, i don't even pay that much!

But, I do agree. One of the major problems with the cost of "healthcare" in this country is the siphoning off of 20-30% in overhead and profits for the insurance companies. Thus, it will never change.

"...Food is one of my few passions..."

And I guess that says it all.

Comment

• docrowan
                              • Mar 2007
                              • New Albany, MS
                              • BT3100

Good choice! "Superfoods" are real, unprocessed, foods, good for health as well as weight loss and maintenance. They provide fiber to help with satiety, plenty of phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc. Unlike the "average" diet that no one can stick to, the "superfood" diet is actually healthy, unlike the overly processed, nutrient deficient, and fattening "foods" most people eat.

Now, stick with it, even after you lose weight!
                              I'm pretty sure I will, because it's really cool to feel hungry, eat as much as I want of healthier choices, and still lose weight. I thoroughly enjoy both cooking and eating, and the food choices I'm making now are tastier. The real trouble is trying to stay healthy while traveling. Last night it was two turkey mini burgers, broccoli, and a very large salad bar serving at Ruby Tuesday. I was stuffed when I left, but I'm pretty hungry this morning. Hotel breakfast is likely not to be that great, but I'm sure I'll find something there that won't be too bad.

If anyone's interested, the author of the book, Superfoods Rx, is Steven Pratt. He's also written a follow up, Superfoods Rx Lifestyles, but I like the first one better.
                              - Chris.

Comment

• jking
                                • May 2003
                                • Des Moines, IA.
                                • BT3100

Originally posted by Hoakie
                                THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH MY DEEP-FAT FRIED TWINKE FOR LUNCH AND DEEP-FAT FRIED SNICKERS FOR DINNER!!!

It is only for 10 days out of 365, how bad can that be!

J/K I've only been to the fair a couple of times but I swear to you I sure had a nice shine when I sweat
                                Don't forget the pork chop on a stick for breakfast & giant turkey leg for afternoon snack.

Comment

Working...