• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Irrational Fears

Are you afraid of anything you shouldn't be? I was outside yesterday and heard my lovely bride yelling my full name. That is never good. Anyhoo, the emergency was a mouse in one of the sheds. She is terrified of mice and hates that I chuckle about it, considering she has all the advantages over the mouse. Its not that I like mice, just that I am not afraid of dealing with them. I was trying to think of things I am afraid of that I shouldn't be that affect my behaviour and couldn't think of anything. The closest I can come is at my parents' farm I will not walk behind a horse/cow within range of their hind legs.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by crokett
    Are you afraid of anything you shouldn't be? I was outside yesterday and heard my lovely bride yelling my full name. That is never good. [snip] The closest I can come is at my parents' farm I will not walk behind a horse/cow within range of their hind legs.
    Staying out of kicking range doesn't sound irrational to me

I absolutely Hate cockroaches. Not terrified of them, but I detest the little buggers.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I've never been off the ground in an airplane. Ain't gonna be, either. What would I do if there were a mouse on there?

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

David,

$5 if you put a rubber mouse in her purse..

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

fears

I guess snakes would be the biggest one. Once I land back on earth after I see them, they are not too bad. I handle roaches and spiders pretty well, but maggots disgust me.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by Hellrazor
            David,

$5 if you put a rubber mouse in her purse..

I'll add $5 if you get a pic. + another $5 if you get it on video.

Comment

• Sam Conder
              Woodworker Once More
              • Dec 2002
              • Midway, KY
              • Delta 36-725T2

Spiders. I absolutely hate them.
              Sam Conder
              BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• mschrank
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Hood River, OR, USA.
                • BT3000

Big fat spiders (don't mind little ones) and snakes. I think it has to do with the movement of these two: all those legs going at once on a spider and the slithering action of snakes...just makes me jump.

It's good that I live in an area of the country where I don't seriously have to worry about either...we have the occassional black widow and a few rattlers, but they are far and few between.

And David, I have to agree that one should respect the area behind a horse/mule/cow, so that's not irrational. So let's hear a REAL irrational fear of yours.....
                Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                  I guess snakes would be the biggest one. Once I land back on earth after I see them, they are not too bad.
                  And once you see what quiet, interesting and trouble-free pets they make, they're even better.

Say hello to "Ms. Baby"... She thinks she's a cobra...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

I can handle small spiders, but occasionally at my dad's house in a wooded area, he gets Wolf spiders. They are monsters that look like small taranchulas and like to hide in shoes Those get my attention.

At my house, I get centipedes which I hate almost as much. They creep me out.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                      The closest I can come is at my parents' farm I will not walk behind a horse/cow within range of their hind legs.

What doesn't add up is the title of the thread Irrational Fears. To the person who has the fear, it isn't irrational to them, it is real. What may seem irrational to one person may not be irrational to another.

Your walking behind (animals that can kick), isn't irrational, but one of caution. Personally, I have no "irrational fears" just ones that deem caution. Controlling the reaction to what may be sensitive could save your life. If you have a "fear" of cockroaches and you're winging down the freeway at 70 MPH, and one jumps into your shirt collar and starts climbing down your back, you could over react and kill yourself or someone else.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Mine is not animals but height. I used to LOVE flying in a Cub and doing mild aerobatics with a close friend. I loved heights, climbing, edges of ledges, Ferris wheels and high roller coasters. . .

. . .then about 10 years ago, I went up a semi tall tower in Tokyo (Tokyo Tower) and the vibrations scared me out of my gourd. In Las Vegas in 2000, I went up the LV tower, walked out the door on the deck (at or near the top) and immediately back in.

I don't know why I used to love heights and then suddenly it became a frightful experience. Duh! I guess I decided that I liked living!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Spiders.

Mainly because they have a knack for hiding. I keep a box of Dixie cups in the
                          shop to mix finishes. I was about to reach into the box when I looked in and
                          there was one just hanging out inside. First instinct was to throw the box. I
                          grabbed the hose of my HF 2HP DC, chased it around a little, and sucked it up.
                          To appreciate the size, I actually heard it make a "whack" when it hit the
                          impeller.

Paul

Comment

• Sam Conder
                            Woodworker Once More
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Midway, KY
                            • Delta 36-725T2

This summer I took 8 Cub Scouts on a 9-state tour of the midwest. We stayed two nights in a stone cabin at Camp McClintock near Bartlesville, OK. On the third day, while loading the vans, we discovered that we apparently shared the area (and the cabin!) with these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spider.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	781830
                            Sam Conder
                            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• mpc
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Cypress, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Heights too... I'd never ride that roller coaster on the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas for example, nor even walk out onto whatever observation deck they have. Being inside a tall building is fine, being outside on a deck (even with a railing) isn't so fine. The Stratosphere itself doesn't even look safe to me - too tall for its skinny diameter. Especially since I view buildings with a California Earthquake viewpoint... that skinny column, with a big mass at the very top, just looks unstable/dangerous. Yeah, Vegas doesn't get many earthquakes but still... One of my basic engineering classes dealt with "column strength" and a column height to diameter ratio of 200:1 is basically a limit; anything taller/skinnier than that is MUCH harder to make strong. That hotel eyeballs out as "I don't thinks so!" Heck, just climbing the ladder to reach the roof of my house took a few minutes. After a couple trips though, after finding the best/easiest spot to actually leave the ladder to step onto the roof (and the much harder trick of getting back to the ladder) it's not a problem now. Extending the ladder to reach the peaks of the eves though to paint them? No bloody way!

Airplanes? No sweat... better not be since I'm an Aerospace Engineer. It'd be pretty tacky to design airplanes yet be afraid to fly/ride 'em! Actually, I love to fly. Just hate airports now.

Some roads though, like the northwestern section of the Washington DC Beltway (Maryland portion, near the 270 spur) where I used to live... drivers there are just plain nuts; one of the few places I've been scared driving.

mpc
                              Last edited by mpc; 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM. Reason: can't seem to spell tonight...

Comment

Working...