• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

$160 Case of Beer?

I was at the local beer distributor (here in PA you must buy cases of beer from a beer distributor and 6 packs from bars . . . I know . . . weird). Anyway, as I was picking a case of fine brew from the local breweries I noted a case of beer marked at $160! Being rather impressed I checked and indeed it was properly marked. Dogfish Head Brewery out of Delaware. The item in question was a 120 minute IPA I believe. Did a little research and found . . .

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Limited_Edition_Beers/120_Minute_IPA/15/index.htm

450 calories for a 12oz bottle! How is that possible??!?!

Anyway, has anyone given this a spin?
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

We have a Dogfish Head restaurant in town here. The 120 minute is served in
    the restaurant in a cognac type glass and you don't get 12 ounces. Not too
    much carbonation. Definitely pretty strong. Fairly sweet, too. I've bought the
    90 minute IPA at the local liquor store. Sold in 4 packs for $10. I guess a case
    of that would be $60. I like the 90 minute better. The food at the restaurant is
    pretty bad.

Paul

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      We have a Dogfish Head restaurant in town here. The 120 minute is served in
      the restaurant in a cognac type glass and you don't get 12 ounces. Not too
      much carbonation. Definitely pretty strong. Fairly sweet, too. I've bought the
      90 minute IPA at the local liquor store. Sold in 4 packs for $10. I guess a case
      of that would be $60. I like the 90 minute better. The food at the restaurant is
      pretty bad.

Paul
      Sad to hear about the food! I thought I might look them up next time I was in DE overnight. Didn't know about the MD location.

The 90 minute IPA was sold by the case (24 bottles) at around $45 and the 60 minute case (24 bottles) was around $35, which is what Lancaster Brewing Co, Appalachian Brewing Co and Troggs Brewing (local brews) goes for.

I picked up Troggs Nut Bown Ale last night and have to say that while the smell was awesome, the flavor was not as good as Newcastle. I figured it would blow Newcastle away. Oh, well, still pretty darn good!

Do they have a Iron Hill in your area? I went to the one in Newark DE and West Chester PA and they have great food and really good Porter. I heard the other day they are building one in Lancaster PA pretty soon! Yippie! I am enjoying my new found love of beer at a great time!

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        The food at the restaurant is pretty bad.
        LOL!

When I was in the Army I was stationed in a small town in Germany. The local brewery had the only decent restaurant in town. Unfortunately they brewed the skunkiest beer in the country! I'd always order wine at the restaurant, saving face for them and me.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's pretty expensive "porcelain paint"!
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I've had some of the Dogfish Head beers. Good brews but not at that price.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

20% abv and 40* plato, that is going to be some tough beer to chew through!
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                20% abv and 40* plato, that is going to be some tough beer to chew through!
                Sounds right up my alley but just not at that price.

Actually, thinking about it, I have paid $7 per beer for much more inferior beer at concerts, games, etc.

Comment

• smc331
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                  • BT3100

Sounds like an IPA version of a barleywine or a triplebock - I'll have to look for that! ...and at 120 IBUs it *does* sound like a hophead's delight!
                  Last edited by smc331; 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM. Reason: added additional comment
                  Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by smc331
                    Sounds like an IPA version of a barleywine or a triplebock - I'll have to look for that! ...and at 120 IBUs it *does* sound like a hophead's delight!

I wondered if someone was going to mention triplebock. It was still supposed to age in the bottle (don't know, never was a beer drinker, coke and grain was my choice). I still know where there are a couple of cases from the first two years of it (don't know how many they have done total), and people are always wanting to buy them.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

Jeff,

Have you ever been to Stoudts brewery in Adamstown?
                      Brian
                      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
                        Jeff,

Have you ever been to Stoudts brewery in Adamstown?
                        Sadly, no. There are just too many good ones around here! Thom is real close to Stoudts and I am trying to talk him into going there but he says it is too high faluting for him!

Comment

• Holbren
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Heathrow, FL.

I used to go to the North Eastern Invitational Brewfest there every year and stay at the Holiday Inn in town. For $20 they give you a glass at the door and a ticket for a great German buffet. From what I remember there was about 20-30 breweries each year and each had at least two brews. And, it was all you can drink.

We learned after a couple years too that we needed to stay at the Holiday Inn and go the last session on Saturday. All the brewers rolled out their leftover kegs in the back parking lot and the festivities began again.
                          Brian
                          www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
                            I used to go to the North Eastern Invitational Brewfest there every year and stay at the Holiday Inn in town. For $20 they give you a glass at the door and a ticket for a great German buffet. From what I remember there was about 20-30 breweries each year and each had at least two brews. And, it was all you can drink.

We learned after a couple years too that we needed to stay at the Holiday Inn and go the last session on Saturday. All the brewers rolled out their leftover kegs in the back parking lot and the festivities began again.
                            That sounds like a blast. When is that typically held?

Comment

• Holbren
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Heathrow, FL.

Brian
                              www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...