• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Evolution?

A question for the more highly developed scientific minds on this forum.
    If man evolved from apes, why are apes still around?
    Are they genetically stuck in a time warp?
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by newood2
    I am guessing since everybody (everything?) evolves, the apes we see were not apes when our ancestors were; they must be the evolved form of - dunno, birds? lizards? anyway - of whatever apes themselves evolved from.

Please note, that's just a wild swing; no science involved

But i sure am glad we did evolve; I'd not have liked to get permission for buying my next tool from a female gorilla !!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

So, does that put us with lowly developed scientific minds in the category of pseudo-intellectuals? My daughter graduated with a major in physics, so does that count to be able to answer?

CAUTION:
      There are lots of intelligent, bright, philosophical and highly educated people on this forum who do not or may not believe in evolution - as from apes.

This subject can quickly raise the ire of those who do not believe in evolution and they should not be thought of as "lacking scientific intelligence". It is also a policy of this forum to not get into or allow "religious" discussions. As such, provocation from an anti, non~ religious stance should be held in check please!

IF you do not hold to evolution, please hold your emotions in check.
      IF you do, watch the provocation!

Wisdom on this forum is regarded much higher than intellectualism.
      Last edited by leehljp; 10-13-2007, 05:59 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I heard a rumor that modern (looking) man, preceded the ape. IOW the ape came after man. They were the ones that didn't like industrialization, modernization, technology, or civilization as we know it. They became the part and looks as the "ape" to adjust to the plain and simple outdoor lifestyle.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

No, it is because they meet the minimum requirements for survival within their enviroment. As mutations began within a small part of the population (as a way to survive), other non or less-mutated parts of the ape population continued on.

Comment

• jseklund
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006

The reason for this is that the evolution of a species is not mutually exclusive to the extinction of the "previous" species. Basically, evolution has to do with survival as the result of a genetic change or mutation- not a genetic change or mutation itself.

For instance, there are white cats and black cats. Perhaps at one point in time only white cats existed. Then the genetic code of one of the off spring was altered in some way (randomly?), and a black cat popped out. White cats were doing just fine surviving, and the black cat did not threaten that survival- so they both carried on their genes.

Through some form of mutation, an ape had offspring that was more closely (but not directly human), who had off spring even more close to a human, etc. Possibly, the fact that apes are different enough than humans actually helped their survival. For whatever reason, competition with the new species (human and human like creatures seem to be highly competitive for space, food, etc)- the species most suited to its environment stayed alive while the other species could not survive (or were killed off).

Apes probably, by this point, were not direct competitors because they had become different enough to survive on their own (and perhaps in a different environment). Perhaps the original species (apes) was also much stronger than the second, third, fourth, etc species/mutations and thus those mutations died and the apes survived.
            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

This is a side track, but hopefully a helpful one. Something about evolution that many people miss is that for it to work, the mutation has to be of direct immediate benefit.

It doesn't do me any good to have half developed wings that will someday benefit my descendants. In fact, that would be a hindrance and would make me less likely to survive.

For evolution to work, the wings (or lungs, gills, eyeballs, opposing thumbs, etc) gotta work today.
              Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Santa Clarita Len
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Santa Clarita Calif.
                • Bt3000 and Dewalt radial arm saw

OK, I am holding my tongue, but when I see a Buick I know that somewhere there is a Buick maker and when I see a Universe I know..........well, enough said.

Comment

• DonHo
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Santa Clarita Len
                  OK, I am holding my tongue, but when I see a Buick I know that somewhere there is a Buick maker and when I see a Universe I know..........well, enough said.
                  I'll second that!!

DonHo
                  Don

Comment

• Rand
                    Established Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Organisms mutate. Traits that enhance survival pass to the next generation. Traits that decrease the odds of survival die out because the organism often doesn't live long enough to breed.

That evolution exists is obvious. For proof that evolution exists just look at dog breeds. All dog breeds descended from wolves. Now we have a Yorkshire terrier and a Great Dane that are the same species! Through centuries of selective breeding mankind has created 2 types of the same species that don't bear much resemblance to each other.

These changes occurred in a few thousand years of human tinkering. Stretch that time scale out to millions of years of survival of the fittest and it's not that hard to believe.

The apes of today share a common evolutionary ancestor with humans. Apes have continued to evolve right along with humanity. You may as well ask if housecats and lions descended from a common ancestors why they are both still here?

Unfortunately, unless humans change their ways and quit destroying the Apes habitat there may not be any Apes left
                    Rand
                    "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

After the recent, lengthy discussion about forum rules, this long-time member finds it most discouraging that people continue to test the boundaries of the envelope in an apparent effort to see what they can get away with -- here, and in the "Al Gore" thread. The results of those actions can only be divisive, and disrupting to the community that we have lovingly crafted here. It doesn't matter which side of these issues you're on, these discussions are clearly contrary to the rules! These two threads were outside those rules beginning with the very first post, and they're getting nastier by the moment.

I fail to understand what people find so difficult to understand about the following:

IF YOU WANT TO TALK POLITICS AND RELIGION, TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!
                      Last edited by LarryG; 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM.
                      Larry

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
                        I fail to understand what people find so difficult to understand about the following:

IF YOU WANT TO TALK POLITICS AND RELIGION, TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!
                        Don't get me wrong, I see the point to the rules. And I don't want them changed. But I do think there is a very reasonable explanation for why violations will tend to occur more and more often:

As btcentral (or any online forum) evolves (sorry), the users become more inquisitive as to other member's positions on social issues.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I think scientifically speaking, man is in fact an ape himself. (Yes, that's left wide open for jokes.)

Great apes = hominids, which include gorillas, chimps, orangutans, and even humans. All of which, according to evolution, evolved from some ancestor -- possibly a long gone one.
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• MilDoc

People talk about evolution without understanding at all what the term means. It's more than just "survival of the fittest." Most humans have multiple "mangled" genes many of which would be fatal, except that we have 2 of each and the "good" gene allows us to live.

And, no, evolution does not have to be immediate. Wings can start small and evolve to functional status if they offer an advantage.

The evolutional tree "branches off," thus apes survive while another branch follows a different course.

Does this mean there is no "higher power"? Not to me. Belief in both is possible if you understand the tenets of evolution.
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2007, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                              Don't get me wrong, I see the point to the rules. And I don't want them changed. But I do think there is a very reasonable explanation for why violations will tend to occur more and more often:

As btcentral (or any online forum) evolves (sorry), the users become more inquisitive as to other member's positions on social issues.
                              FOR ALL, not just CG:
                              And this "more inquisitive" ~ness is beginning to border on "direct provocation" instead of wisdom! DON'T be the next person to push the envelope by adding . . . "Just one more word" . . . "its not that much more," . . . "a little bit more gray." Immaturity!

A third side to this - The "immature" person who deliberately pushes deep into the gray area just to see if he can get the thread locked. We do not want to do this and we do not want to censor by locking a thread, but lately there are a some who seem like they want to see how far they can push the envelope - intentionally and just to be inquisitive! Why do people value the guise of intellectualism more than wisdom?

One more provocation (as judged by the moderators) and this will be locked. Use a lot of restraint and a little bit of wisdom. FREEDOM IS NOT WITHOUT RESPONSIBILITY . . . and a little bit of wisdom.

Show some wisdom along with your intellect!
                              Last edited by leehljp; 10-13-2007, 05:26 PM.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...