My daughter, a football game and technology!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

My daughter, a football game and technology!

My middle daughter is a Cowboys fan and has been since she started listening to her dad (me ) yell for the 'Boys when Stauback was Q'back. She was born in Ft. Worth and proudly announces that she is a native Texan even though she lives in MS.

She called me last week and asked if I would watch the Cowboys/Bills game with her - me being in Japan, she in MS. At game time, she turned on her computer, opened Skype and turned the camera to watch her and the TV. I turned my computer on and together we watched and talked through the whole game. I could barely see the plays and couldn't make out the players except when they did a mug shot of an individual. I could hear OK but my daughter's play by play was better than the TV guys, who ever they were.
    (It sure would have been better if I had one of those SlingMedia SlingBoxes, to go with Skype.)

We were about to call it a game with a couple of minutes to go, but I just enjoyed talking football as well as other things with her, so I talked her into leaving it on until the game was over. It was a great time to be with her while away this far away. I did all I could to console her in the end, with her team losing. But then the unexpected happened and I watched her get a sore throat from yelling in the last 60 seconds of play over a 5 minute span. More ups and downs than a roller coaster. Resignation to a loss! Possible tie with a TD in last 20 seconds, but missed the 2 extra points; recovered onside kick, dropped passes, time taken off the time clock (but not enough in my opinion), Time added back to the time clock; made an almost impossible field goal but that was negated, then another almost impossible field goal. My daughter did some yelling!

I had a rare full day at home so I really enjoyed this. I like this modern technology and would have been just as happy with her regardless of the outcome.

Along this same line - Last Thanksgiving, my three daughters, 5 grandkids, two son in laws and my mother in law all had Thanksgiving meal together. We were able to watch and interact with them for two hours during their meal.

THIS technology is GREAT!
    Last edited by leehljp; 10-09-2007, 06:52 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Nice story, Hank. But, although today's technology facilitates such an event, it is the family values instilled in the kids that makes it possible. Good on you for raising her right.

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

That's really Hank!
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Great story and good reminder of how important family is.

As an Eagles fan though, I had exactly the opposite reaction you two did to the Cowboys comeback.
        -Joe

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Tequila
          As an Eagles fan though, I had exactly the opposite reaction you two did to the Cowboys comeback.
          As a Bills fan, well....

Great story Hank. Glad to hear you enjoyed the time with your daughter.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Closeness to your family... there's nothing like it! I'm happy for you, buddy!!
            Last edited by ironhat; 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• pierhogunn
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

cool, way cool
              It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Tequila
                As an Eagles fan though

Resist...

The....

Temp....tation....

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!

Atleast....

They.....

Couldn't......

Lose.....

This...

Week.....

Don't mind me.. I have a when they win only eagles fan at work to deal with.

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

Hank, that was a great story. I'm glad you got to spend a few hours with her.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

That's the way to do it, Hank!

My brother lives in Germany and Skype keeps us close, too.

Technology is good.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I agree with you, Hank. This stuff is great! A weekend ago my brother in Germany took his laptop (wireless network) and the camera around his new house to show it to me. And of course his wife and kids (they grow so fast) helped showing everything. A great time was had, made the distance seem a little less important.

Comment

Working...