Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Couple of "Salty" stories

Salty Latte anyone?

Last Saturday, LOML and a couple of close friends and I went to a new building in Nagoya that has many stores too rich for our pocketbooks. Anyway, We did go into one store and our friend wanted a Latte. ON the menu - Salty Caramel Latte. The ingredients: Salt, Caramel and Latte.

Is this something new world wide or just a Japanese thing - Salty Lattes?

Side story - One chocolate store (about 200 square feet) has a waiting line outside every time I go by it - about once a week. The store only lets 4 or 5 customers go in at a time, only as many as can be waited on individually. They sell eclairs at the equivalent of $20.00 each and usually sell out by noon. I don't go there.

The other "Salty" story: About 4 years ago in Osaka, my youngest daughter and I were shopping downtown and we found a deli ice cream shop. On the menu was "Rock Salt Ice Cream." Amy asked for a taste and then turned to me and said, "Dad, you must taste this ice cream." I did - pure salty flavored, no sugar added!

Have I been out of the "real world" too long or is this kind of strange "taste" in other places too?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Never had a salty ice cream or latte, or even imagined any such till now!

But, on consideration, would be very interested in trying the taste. Other than tradition, there's nothing that says these have to be sweet. Now I can only say, what took it so long? Wonder if these are found around here.

Or maybe should search for a recipe on the 'net to make at home...my younger girl loves salted stuff more than sweet ( ), so i know one potential customer .
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
      ON the menu - Salty Caramel Latte. The ingredients: Salt, Caramel and Latte.
      This being the case, I'd recommend you avoid the Axle Grease Poop Latte...

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
        Have I been out of the "real world" too long or is this kind of strange "taste" in other places too?

Could be just a newfangled fad Hank. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a latte that is served according to its sheen...like ""gloss latte", "semi gloss latte" or "matte latte".

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Boy, I've never heard of such a thing. I suppose it could just be a fad, or perhaps the Japanese tastes just run this way.

After all, we use salt on popcorn in the U.S., but in some European countries they use sugar.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

One of my clients from Hong Kong introduced me to salted dried plums and sweet finely chopped jerky. He also took us to one of the finest meals I have ever had in a place up a narrow alley in Kowloon.

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...