• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Which WoodWorking Mags do you Like

I hope I am not becoming a Poll Junkie. I thougt it would be good to get everyone's view of woodworking magazines. I have only listed a few so if there are others out there that you think are good sources of information include them in your post. Also it would be nice to know why you like or don't like a particular magazine.

I currently subscribe to four woodworking mags. Fine Wood Working, Wood magzine, WoodSmith and Shopnotes. Wood, WoodSmith and ShopNotes are my favorites. They seem to have information that I can use right away and generally have several projects in each issue. I actually like the Fine Wood Working online subscription better than their magazine. The online service gives a wealth of information on many different topics that always seem useful. Somehow the magazine just doesn't click for me.
    Wood Magazine
    27.41%
    WoodSmith Magazine
    16.30%
    ShopNotes Magazine
    25.56%
    FineWoodWorking Magazine
    12.96%
    American WoodWorker Magazine
    10.00%
    Other (please specify in your post)
    7.78%

The poll is expired.

RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Often pick up copies of some of the mags listed ... but actually subscribe to mags in the OTHER catagory:

- Canadian Woodworking
    - Canadian Home Workshop
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

I,ve been wood for a few years now and have a complete file box drawer full of them. Picked up on Idea Shop 5 when I was building my new shop. Took a few things from it and did some mods of my own. The best thing was the cleat system! They were right, you will need to redo your walls. Boy howdie did I. There is alot of reviews that are good and for me I need all the help I can get. The projects are O.K.. I still like to get mine out of my sleep and put them to paper whe I'm awake. Guess I should show you some but don't want to embarress myself seeing what you guys do. Old Yank is not what I'm doing and most others like Rocklers are out of my range now. The lastest though had some great blind hinges!!!! O.K. enought for now!

Cork
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Currently only subscribed to Woodsmith and ShopNotes. I also like Wood magazine but no longer subscribed.

I like ShopNotes mainly for the shop toys. I'm not an accomplished woodworker, and Woodsmith doesn't seem to require advanced techniques in their projects. I like that.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Wood, Woodsmith, and Shopnotes cover most of the spectrum for woodworking, IMO. I also take The Family Handyman for info on home DIY projects.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

American Woodworker. Pretty decent and can be had for a song on ebay or other venues.

Then you take that savings and apply it to Fine Woodworking. Generally best deal you can get on FWW is buying 3 years directly from FWW. It is generally not sold by 3rd parties. Even considering time value of money at 7% 3 years of FWW is much better than newstand or 1 year rate. And ya just gotta sign up for the online FWW that subscribers can get for $15 year.

I found a SUPER deal on FWW issues 1 - 132 complete by simply noting it had been there a few weeks and sending him a stupid offer! $50 as long as I would buy his Fine Homebuilding 1 - 58 for $50. Done deal. Plan on selling teh Fine Homebuilding on ebay.

Never liked Wood, Woodsmith or Shopnotes too much. Wood seemed kind of simple, never saw much in Woodsmith that I liked and I AM NOT A JIGGIST thus no ShopNotes!

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

How much I like each one varies from issue to issue, but overall, I've liked Popular Woodworking best for a few years now.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

I like Wood,P. Woodworking but I find Woodsmith to be the most handy.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I subscribe to Shopnotes, and now Wood magazine. I like, and occassionally buy Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding (sometimes some mild crossover). I've only seen three Woodsmiths, so I don't really have a valid opinion of them yet (not even enough to subscribe).

Popular Woodworking, American Woodworker, etc, I tend to check out at the library.

I did the free subscription to Workbench last year, and it goes in cycles as to which part of it's target audience (diyer) it targets (woodworker, fixer, etc). It will be a library one.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Dustmight
                    How much I like each one varies from issue to issue, but overall, I've liked Popular Woodworking best for a few years now.
                    Yes, Popular Woodworking has been getting better and better--strange how at the same time, American Woodworking (my former favorite) has been falling off, IMO.

Woodworkers Journal almost always has some nugget or theory piece that makes that issue stay around forever.

The problem with WOOD, IMO, is over-complicating simple projects. It's gotten a little better about this, but sometimes their 'diagrams of 1,000 joints and grooves' just make me shake my head.

Plus, some of the projects may be well engineered but fail from the human standpoint--their current issue has a neat combination of storage tower for bench machines and mobile base. The idea is you take the bench machine on its shelf out of the storage tower and put it on the base.

Great idea...but. The cover shows the whole thing. A big old bench grinder is on the top removable shelf, at least six ft. high and well above the head of the (male) model. It looks like a recipe for muscle pulls, head bruises, curses and worse.

"Bench lifts" and "grinder presses", or 'how to combine your shop setup with weight lifting'.
                    Last edited by gwyneth; 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

All those in the poll except Shopnotes , also Popular Woodworking. Shopnotes is very good and I sub'ed several years but they ticked me off a few years ago when they wouldn't renew me for the new subscriber rate. Yes, I do hold grudges.
                      Polular WW has come a long way, it deserves a look.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wood is my longest subscription followed by Fine Woodworking, then Pop
                        Woodworking and finally Woodsmith. I'm not going to renew Woodsmith.
                        Nothing really appeals to me in it. Popular Woodworking has some hit or miss
                        articles as well as Wood. I savor each and every Fine Woodworking, though.
                        I'm sure I've used a lot of the techniques presented in these magazines, but
                        the only plans I followed were from an American Woodworker for a shop cabinet
                        and collapsable saw horses.

Paul

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Copiague, New York, USA.

Workbench, is pretty good, I get some good ideas from it.
                          It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by gwyneth
                            Yes, Popular Woodworking has been getting better and better--strange how at the same time, American Woodworking (my former favorite) has been falling off, IMO.

Woodworkers Journal almost always has some nugget or theory piece that makes that issue stay around forever.

The problem with WOOD, IMO, is over-complicating simple projects. It's gotten a little better about this, but sometimes their 'diagrams of 1,000 joints and grooves' just make me shake my head.

Plus, some of the projects may be well engineered but fail from the human standpoint--their current issue has a neat combination of storage tower for bench machines and mobile base. The idea is you take the bench machine on its shelf out of the storage tower and put it on the base.

Great idea...but. The cover shows the whole thing. A big old bench grinder is on the top removable shelf, at least six ft. high and well above the head of the (male) model. It looks like a recipe for muscle pulls, head bruises, curses and worse.

"Bench lifts" and "grinder presses", or 'how to combine your shop setup with weight lifting'.
                            Good critique of that article. While the concept was good, I would agree that moving and lifting all that stuff around when you needed it could become a PITA over time. Still, for a small cramped shop it might just be the ticket. Upside, we might start to look like my Governor, Arnold S. On second thought, forget that.
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

• gwyneth
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by ragswl4
                              Good critique of that article. While the concept was good, I would agree that moving and lifting all that stuff around when you needed it could become a PITA over time. Still, for a small cramped shop it might just be the ticket. Upside, we might start to look like my Governor, Arnold S. On second thought, forget that.
                              A lot of us with very small work areas are very familiar with lifting, tugging, moving and placing. There are dozens of projects in the ether and paper world that involve different ways to store, move and use bench tools.

It's just that most of them don't put an 8" bench grinder six feet up in the air--and the way the movable shelves are designed requires one of three options: a) being 6'6" or taller; b) getting out a step-stool; or c) pulling the shelf out and essentially holding the bench grinder over your head for a short period.

Moving my 6" bench grinder from a medium low shelf about a foot off the ground up to a work surface is enough of a pain; I can't imagine lowering an 8" one from way high up.

However, the problem may be that the art director and or photographer are not woodworkers. Four tools are pictured--a Jet 8" bench grinder on the top shelf; a smallish belt sander being lifted with the 4ft-ish shelf onto the mobile base; a scroll saw on the 2ft-ish shelf; and an enormous CMS on the bottom shelf.

If someone can think of a good reason for putting the bench grinder on the highest shelf and the belt sander on the next one, instead of the other way around, I could stop being really annoyed whenever I think of it.

Comment

Working...