• Show
Clear All
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Anyone watching "The War" on PBS?

I was curious how many BT'ers have been watching "The War" documentary by Ken Burns on PBS. I find it facinating and helps me appreciate the men and women who have sacrificed for our countries freedom. I think this is very well done.

I had an Uncle (my dads only brother) who was part of the 517th PIR who was killed in the Ardennes/Alsace area in France. No one in our family knew the circumstances. My dad was only about 8 hours away from him at the time and refused to talk about it. The only time my dad ever answered any question about the war was when I asked him if he ever killed anyone with his rifle? He said " The only thing I killed in the war was a rat with my shovel." He was an Engineer. I have been having some success researching his unit on the Internet and corresponded with a guy who was with him when he was killed by Mortar shrapnel that landed in front of a tank and my uncle was walking behind. I even found a scanned copy of his Commanders handwritten KIA log. Spooky stuff.
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

I've got the DVR set to record it but haven't watched it yet. My Mom told me about the series. I sent a few Stephen Ambrose WWII books home with her last night as well.

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

I've been recording it and watching parts. It comes on about my bedtime on work days. I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem to have the same punch that his Civil War series did.
      Dad and most of his peers are WWII vets. Dad was in the "Gator Navy" in England and Mom worked for RCA making radio tubes.
      I'm a big WWII buff and I guess I was expecting a bit more from Mr. Burns. Might be different when I see the series through eyes that are not droopy. One way or another it's worth watching. Especially if you are of an age group too young to have grown up with the Vets, military and civilian. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

I've seen a few parts of it this week. My wife (history major in college) ordered the dvd set already. What I've seen so far I like. The point of this project was to convey not only the history, but, the mood & feelings in the country at the time from different perspectives. I've only seen a little bit, but, what I've seen does that very well.

I consider Burn's "The Civil War" to be one of those once in a career achievements. This is his most noted documentary, his signature piece. He set the bar so high, surpassing it is nearly impossible.

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Using the TIVO to record it. Have watched the first episode so far and it looks good. Burns does an excellent job.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• mschrank
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Hood River, OR, USA.
            • BT3000

I've caught bits and pieces, but since it starts around the lil' ones bedtime and continues past mine, I'll have to wait for the DVD to catch it all. I agree with the others that it doesn't measure up to his Civil War series, but still very well done and informative.

I'm probably most struck with the huge amount of necessary support and sacrifice of the civilians at home.
            Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

I've seen it all so far. While it is excellent, I just can't help feeling it somehow doesn't hit the mark.

For instance, the D-Day segment didn't adequately present the scope of the event, IMO. Same with the other major battles in North Africa and the Pacific. I know Burns was specifically not trying to make another "relentless march to suppress evil" tale, but I think it ends up being less than it could be.

On the other hand, the inclusion of homeland events makes the series unique. As jking pointed out they have provide a unique perspective on the "mood & feelings" of the country. This is well integrated with the war descriptions. No punches are pulled in this regard, meaning the sanguine description of rural Minnesota get as muc play as race riots in Mobile.

Speaking of Mobile, I am taken by the charming accent of the woman from that town who desribes the home perspective of her brother's participation in the war. She pronounces war as "wow". And Tarawa had about eight syllables, I think.

Tip: I've heard Burns interviewed on the radio. I think the upcoming segment showing the discovery of the concentration camps will be outstanding. IIRC, he said they went minimalist, with no music and little commentary. The pictures are meant to tell the story. Small children should probably be sent to bed.

JR
              JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I really need to sit down and read the book I have on my Great uncles unit. My grandfather on the one side, was a airplane gunner/mechanic, until he got emphasema. Then he went into supply. One great uncle was in training, and ordered by his sargent to clean, his sargents "unloaded" weapon. It went off and he was killed. One great uncle who made it all the way through the european campaign (91st infantry division), came back and died in 1960. (thought by some of the things he was exposed to)

My grandfather on the other side, got out of the army, either early in the war, or just pre us entering. Then was drafted into the navy towards the end of the war. He never talked about it, and I never asked, normally saw him ONE day a year.

As for the Ken Burns thing, there is a Ken Burns style mockumentory, done around the time that the movie CSA came out. Not politically correct, some language, but humorous in parts (and short), I found it a while back on google video, but here is the link on You Tube:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XPCzckUcYY
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Warren
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Anchorage, Ak
                  • BT3000

I think Burns does of good job of presenting his perspective of history. This latest series appears fairly well researched and fact checked. Other than his putting Ft. Greely on Kodiak Island in the Gulf of Alaska (it is located very close to the geographic center of the State) and some rather disconcerting music, I can't quibble too much with the show's content. I do hate the music that sounds like someone playing a saw.
                  A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

We watched the first two nights, but haven't been able to catch the others (business trip). Wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed it - I'm fairly knowledgeable about WWII and there were several things in the two episodes I didn't know. My wife's grandfather and grandmother were both welders in the shipyard in Mobile for a short time - they moved away because of the terrible living conditions. Fist fights over groceries and so forth.

I've come to find out my grandfather-in-law is the toughest man I've ever met and likely to meet. Survived being shot three times, front teeth knocked out, jungle rot, malaria, Japanese overrun of his base, and shot down a Zero with a 50 cal. It's funny, he mostly talks about how hungry he got and what they did to keep fed.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Got it from a friend on video. Guess I know what I'll be watching this weekend, in between Oktoberfesting...
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I have watched two of the episodes that I have Tivo'd. I am a great fan of Ken Burns.

I was born in England in 1943. We, my mother and I, were bombed out of several places before fleeing to Huddersfield in the North.

My father was an RAF pilot. He flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain. He was shot down and injured. When he recovered he was, unhappily, transfered to bombers.

In early 1944, flying an Halifax on a bombing run to Berlin, he was shot down over Denmark. after over a week on the run, he was captured and was a prisoner of war. After the invasion, while the Germans were moving prisoners, he escaped alone, and made his way to friendly lines. He weighed 110 lbs.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Papa
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Williamsburg, VA
                          • Ryobi BT3000

&quot;The War&quot;

I've mostly enjoyed all three sessions that plated this week. I did get a little disturbed by his "MacArthur bashing" in the first segment. Mac made enough mistakes in the Phillipines without claiming that he just let his air force set on the ground until the Japanese attacked. His air commander actually ordered all planes on Luzon to take off before dawn, when the attack was expected. That was the original Japanese plan. But Formosa (Taiwan) from which the attacks were launched was fogged in at takeoff time. The Japanese had to wait until the fog cleared. By then, the American planes were running out of fuel. They came down to refuel and took the opportunity to grab a quick breakfast. Unfortunately, that was when the Japanese arrived.

The planes were parked on the tarmac because if they'd been pushed off to disperse them, they would have sunk into the swampy adjacent ground ( a requested project to provide dispersed hard pads had not been approved by Congress).

If you want to know more, read THEY FOUGHT WITH WHAT THEY HAD by Walted D. Edmonds.

Papa

Comment

• DLyon
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006

I haven't watched it yet, but

I've been Tivoing it. Looks to be a good show. I watched Band of Brothers on HBO (or showtime, can't remember anymore) and thought that was a great show. Ended up purchasing the DVD set and have watched it several times now.

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Papa
                              Mac made enough mistakes in the Phillipines without claiming that he just let his air force set on the ground until the Japanese attacked.
                              Manchester make much the same assertion in American Ceasar. As great a hero as MacArthur was, and whatever the reasons may be, this was not his finest hour.

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...