• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

A sad goodbye to Clyde

I have written before, about our two Standard Poodles, Bonnie & Clyde.

Well, sadly, Clyde died on Monday. I have not been able to talk about Clyde for the last couple of days. Scott's post prompted me to tell you about Clyde.

Bonnie & Clyde were litter-mates, and had not been apart for over a day until recently.

Three months ago, we noticed Clyde's belly was swollen. After tests and xrays and MRI's it was determined that Clyde had several malignant tumors. Other than the swollen belly, Clyde was in good health and good spirits.

Aware of the limited chances of success, we opted to attempt surgery. We took him to a Veterinary Surgery Center in West Los Angeles. Most humans should have the facilities and care provided by this center.

Clyde survived the surgery and was running up and down our stairs in a couple of days. As you now know Clyde did not survive 90 days.

LOML and I have no regrets about our decision. Those were good 90 days for us all. To prompt his appetite, I poached chicken thighs for him every day. He loved that chicken and followed me to the refrigerator every trip.

As we were warned, he stopped eating two days before he died. He weakened rapidly, and died with his head on LOML's lap.

Clyde was a wonderful dog. He was calm and friendly with everyone. All our guests thought that they were Clyde's favorite. Except for the Kleenex, which we won't mention now, he was a perfect dog. We miss him terribly.

Bonnie just seems confused, I wish I knew what was in her head.

Thanks for letting me have my say, it helped.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • smc331
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • BT3100

I'm very sorry for your loss, Steve - please express my condolences to the LOYL and to Bonnie. Clyde was blessed to have family like you.
    Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I'm sorry to hear about this, Steve. You and your wife must be broken hearted.

Hang in there.

JR
      JR

Comment

• Scottydont
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Edmonds, WA, USA.
        • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Boy Steve, I am sorry for your loss. I hope Bonnie adjusts. Lots of love and patience are in order. She should also provide you some comfort while you all grieve and learn to adjust.

This mornings coffee was not the same without Shy circling around my feet. Time will heal our hearts.

My thoughts are with you too.
        Scott
        "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Steve

You probably read "Rainbow Bridge" that I posted in Scott's thread, so I won't post it again. Think of how great his life was and what you and your wife gave and received from the companionship. What Bonnie needs now is a Poodle puppy, to take her mind off the loss. You can do that for the both of you.

Comment

• Hoakie
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Iowa
            • Craftsman 21829

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like Clyde had a good life, giving and receiving a lot of love.
            John
            To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

Our thoughts are with you as well. We had our dog Dixie put down 2 weeks ago so i can relate. LOML rescued Dix from the pound days before she was scheduled to be cancelled. She was 5 then and we had her for 10 years. She lived with us on our sailboat for a year and the boat (Dixie Jo) was named after her and LOML - JoAnn. I got a lot of crap from everyone except JoAnn for giving the dog top billing.
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I can't imagine you and your wife's pain at such a loss. Pets are so much a part of our lives and when they pass it's as if we lose part of ourselves. They give so much love and expect so little in return. I hope you soon begin to remember all the wonderful times you had with your dog and the sadness begins to slip away.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

a sad goodbye to Clyde

Sorry to hear about the losing of one of your beloved pets. They are more than pets...to me anyway...they become loving members of the family in a
                  short time. My/our "precious pup" is sitting on my lap as I type this reply.
                  Hope that your better half and Bonnie adjust real soon to the passing of
                  Clyde. eezlock

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I feel for you and your wife. Give extra attention to Bonnie!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I am so sorry, Steve. As I said in Scotty's thread, this is one of the worst ordeals we have to go through. As Gerd said, give Bonnie lots of love and attention, her life long mate is gone and she doesn't understand.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Steve, Rick and Scotty. These are rough times we'd rather not have to endure. My thoughts are with all of you. Time will be your friend.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

I can't add anything to what has all ready been said, so I'll just add my condolences to you, LOYL and Bonnie.
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher
                          http://splash54.multiply.com
                          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Sometimes the greatest friendships we'll ever have are the with the animals who lovingly shae our lives. God bless, buddy.
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• MilDoc

I am sorry. Losing a beloved pet is sad. Hope Bonnie is well.

Comment

Working...