• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Has A Pet Changed Your Lifestyle?

When we went househunting 8 years ago, what we were looking for was a great yard for our German Shepherd. We were perfectly happy in our condo, which was more of a villa than a condo. It had a private area in the front and a small grassy area in the rear. At the time we had three cats, but just had to have a German Shepherd. When we got this dog, it was cramped and we decided to go house hunting.

A primary factor in the hunt was a great yard. What we looked at either had a great house and inadequate yard, or the other way around. Our real estate agent was getting pretty tired of us. He kept hearing about the dog liking this or that. Finally after actually walking through 50+ homes we found a keeper. After a time, we got a second German Shepherd.

We have changed our lifestyle for our animals. When one needed extensive surgeries, we had to cut back on a lot of things just to afford the costs. We put off car purchases, and certain home renovations. We created dedicated times for all the animals so none get slighted.

So, for all you pet owners out there, how has a pet been an influence in your lives.
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Absolutely!
    It's a choice of what you want in your life and what is necessary to have that. You make your choices in life and you are responsible for them. Pets are often like children in your required responsibilities. Most pet owners feel that they get back more than they give in there relationship with their pet. This isn't always the case with children. I for 1 prefer to have dogs. They give so much for so little. All I hear from my friends and family with children is how busy and broke they are.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Two years ago when I retired (wife still working) my wife got me a Yorkie/Bichon puppy as a retirement gift. She thought it would be good for me to have some company during the day. Well, it didn't take long before I was totally attached to this dog and amazingly my wife got very attached as well.

We try to plan everything around our Raggy Boy so we don't have to leave him alone very often or for very long. He gives us so much fun, joy and love its hard to imagine life without him. He comes to get me when dinner is ready and waits by the door for my wife to return from work everyday. He also provides entertainment, great watchdog and protector. One moan or groan from my wife or me and it sets him off as he knows something is not right. If I feel ill, he is always at my side. He waits outside the shower for me and follows me everywhere I go. When I want to watch a movie I ask him if he wants to watch it and he runs for the sofa and lies on top of one of the pillows and watches the entire movie.

He has impacted our lives more than any other thing I can think of. I could go on and on about him. I hope he outlives me as I don't think I could take it without him.
      Last edited by ragswl4; 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
        • Dec 2005
        • Russell, NY, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

You bet! Our life would be pretty lacking (now that the kids have flown the coop) if it wasn't for our four legged kids. I'am an "either-or" kind, dogs, cats or both, which we have now. Reminds me of this: Dogs have masters; cats have staff".
        RuffSawn
        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• JeffG78
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
          • BT3100

I too have German Shepherd Dogs - three of them - all 2-1/2 to 3 years old. Even though I love them to death, they have caused major changes in my lifestyle and budget. In the last 2-1/2 years, LOML and I haven't ever traveled overnight at the same time due to the dogs. The vet bills are killing us too. We have cut back on many things in order to pay for their expenses. They are all on special prescription food and various medications and it seems they must LOVE the vet because we are there constantly for one thing or another. I have been remodelling the house and they manage to trash it faster than I can repair it. They don't do anything malicious, just wear and tear on things like the hardwood floors, the baseboard moldings, the yard, etc. Also, they require more time than I ever would have guessed. One in particular requires hours of excercise each day or she is bouncing off the walls. My wife walks her for several hours a day along with plenty of backyard playtime. The only good thing (I guess) is that the LOMY is just as overwhelmed and vows to never have multiple dogs again. Of course they will live another 7-10 years and by then she will have forgotten just how hard they were to take care of.

I had actually typed out a loooong reply to this topic, but decided that nobody wanted to read the long story about my dogs, so I decided to delete it all make it very brief.

Here is a pic of the family

Last edited by JeffG78; 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM. Reason: Added picture

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

Has apet changed your lifestyle?

You had better believe it! My wife got a 6 week old black female toy poodle
            for Christmas a couple of years ago as a present from her sons.

We were about 150 miles away from home ( Christmas) starting home with my wife driving, the puppy laid on my belly underneath my half open jacket
            with my left arm supporting her and stayed warm and cozy all the way home.

She has bonded to me more than my wife in some ways....she loves her "daddy" and has a fit when I come thru the door after work everyday.

Wife named her "GiGi"....my nickname for her is "Peety" she must love it cause when I call her she comes a runnin' to jump into my lap no matter where I'm sitting. Would not get rid of her for nothin'....she is a family member
            all the way. She travels with us everytime we go on a trip....no matter where! I feel like this...if my dog ain't welcome...I ain't welcome...to sum it
            all up....I LOVE my dog! WOULD NOT be with out her! eezlock

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

One of the requirments when I bought was room for my Siberian to run and still be contained. (Back yard is close to 1/2 acre.) Now we have 2 cats (OK, 1 1/2) and a aging Bichon. Travel plans are geared around the pets.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

I think all pets change your lifestyle a little. You have to make sure someone is home to feed them at night. You have to take extra time to feed them in the AM (we feed our dog twice a day). Time is needed to exercise them, play with them, etc. You can't go someplace for a day without having to make arrangements to have them taken care of.

Jeff: You need to relax more when you have your picture taken. You look so tense/rigid!! Nice looking dogs.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• gerti
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

We have 3 Alaskan Malamutes and a cat. We have 3 Alaskan Malamutes and a cat!

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                    • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by gerti
                    I have 3 Lab mixes, 1 Dalmatian mix and 2 cats. Stormy, Sammy, Charcoal, and Roxy. The cats are Stanley & Bailey
                    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by JeffG78
                      I In the last 2-1/2 years, LOML and I haven't ever traveled overnight at the same time due to the dogs. The

In our situation, it's the same way. With the two dogs and three cats and three aquariums, it's a houseful. In the last 4 years, My wife traveled alone to visit relatives, every time. Early next year she will be going to England and Italy for 10 days to visit daughter, SIL, and 4 grandkids, with another relative, not me. The animals just can't be left alone. We thought about one of those services where someone stops in to feed and walk the group, but it's not the same. We thought about having a full time house sitter, but don't really want a stranger in the house. I think about a situation where one of the animals gets sick or hurt, or there is a major disaster in the house, I would want to be here when it happens.

We have friends that their daughter (my god daughter), started college last year. Their Siamese cat had died that year. Now that the daughter is away at school, I keep asking about when they will be getting another cat. The response is that they aren't ready yet. And besides they say that with no pets, it frees up their time. Well, I just couldn't live like that.

Comment

• Zenaca
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Idaho

We have 4 dogs a liver color choclate lab female , a pomeranian male , a miniture teacup poodle female and puppy that is the baby of the pom and poodle. Dont go anywhere without them! What a investment in time they are ,but what return on an investment!
                        When we bought the new house in town we specificaly looked for one with a large yard and of course a good size shop for me and the dogs to hang out in.

Bud

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Two greyhounds and 4 cats. The cats weren't a big lifestyle change, except for the way they take up bed space. The greyhounds have only been with us for a few months, but it's been a big change. The walks, letting them out in the yard, all of that. But, the love they give, the way they act when we get home, I wouldn't give it up.

Here's a link to some pictures of Zephyr, our first. I have to add some pictures of Saturn soon.

The cats are Cassiopeia, Shiva, Sita, and Andromeda. All pets are named from mythology.

Jim

Comment

• gerti
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

We actually had 2 cats to our 3 Alaskan Malamutes (aka bud heads). As others said the cats are fairly easy. But we were surprised to find how much of a difference there is between 2 and 3 dogs. The third one was sort of a special need case, we weren't really looking for another dog. Of course we love them all dearly, though we really could stand a nice vacation! The last two times we tried dogs got sick just before (kidney stones, immune-system problem). Oh, and you have no idea how much hair 3 Alaskan Malamutes can produce...

Comment

• gwyneth
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by jziegler
                              Here's a link to some pictures of Zephyr, our first. I have to add some pictures of Saturn soon.
                              Jim, I've been meaning to ask for a Zephyr update. She must be doing great if you got her a brother! Does she lord it over him?

Oh, and you have no idea how much hair 3 Alaskan Malamutes can produce...
                              Oh yes I do! I currently live with one Samoyed but there have been as many as three. Just one blows enough coat each year for me to spin a LOT of yarn.

Comment

Working...