• germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Dead man walking

This is a first--autopsy saves a person's life BEFORE he is dead:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=3611647

Reminds me of that old joke about what the rabbi would like mourners to say at his funeral; "Look! He's moving!"
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • Sawduster
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Man, that has got to be a scarey thing. Imagine if they had decided to take the top off his skull as their first procedure.
    Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about autopsies, but the face seems to be an unusual place to start cutting.

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Not if it appears that death was caused by head trauma.

That said, even if he were in a coma, wouldn't there be breath, pulse, heartbeat etc and isn't checking for them not mandatory?

I've heard some pretty nasty things about that region of the world. Looks like someone was in too much of a hurry to harvest his organs.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by scorrpio
          Not if it appears that death was caused by head trauma.
          Yeah, but starting at the chin? Somebody's mother is gonna have to see that in a casket.

Comment

• gslyons
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2007

That's quite a coincidence. Just last night I read the short story 'Autopsy Room Four' from Steven King's collection 'Everythings Eventual'. It's a first person account of someone going through a similar situation. In the story, the victim was bitten by a very venomous snake while golfing and the coroner recognizes his post-mortem ineligibility due to his uhh... ...errrr... ...tumescence.

~g

Comment

• Sawduster
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Now you done made me have to go look up a word.

I've had the less than joyful honor of being present at a couple of post mortums, and generally initial incisions were into the chest cavity, but I guess if the guy looked like he died from trauma to the chin, then they might start there.

Does seem that someone saw some dollar signs (or pesos or whatever they spend down there) that impeded their abilities to detect respiration. Though had the body been in the fridge at the morgue for even a few hours, body functions could have decreased to near undetectable without some means of amplification and they had no reason to check at that point considering that someone had obviously made the death declaration, likely in the field.
              Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
              ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• MilDoc

Ouch! Sure am glad he woke up before they did too much ...

Comment

Working...