• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Geriatric Step Stool help needed

I am not planning on making a geriatric step stool but I AM searching for one online.

My mom used to have a geriatric step stool about 6 inches high, 24 inches wide and about 16 inches front to back. This was located by her bed and helped her get into and out of bed the last few years of her life. This stool was purchased at Walmart in about 1998.

My aunt lives in Sacramento, CA and is in need of one. My oldest sister is 68 and uses the one that my mom had. These bedside stools are handy for getting into and out of beds that are a tad too high for people with slight mobility problems, but who love their own bed and don't want to buy a new bed at this age in life.

Features:
    It would slide under the bed,
    Wide enough so that an elderly person didn't have to "feel" for the stool. Deep enough too. Its size is a safety feature for elderly.
    6 inches - Not too tall. Over 6 inches are unsafe for geriactrics with slight mobility problems.

My sisters have searched and searched in stores and on the internet and all we can find are 10 and 12 inch "geriatric" stools that are too narrow and too tall. DUH - 10 and 12 inches are too tall for people with mobility problems!

Does anyone know of the kind that I am looking for? Any help would be appreciated. If I can give them a phone number of a company they can order one.

Thanks

Hank
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

The "Wide Foot Rest" shown here is a little smaller width and depth than what you described, but is the right height at 6". I will update this post if I find anything else.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the link. I looked at it and it is near what is needed, just not wide enough. The one my sister has is plastic but wood is fine. IF I were back in the States, I would make one and send it to her.

Thanks again for that link.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

This place has 24" x 12" in two different heights--4" and 7".

http://www.mercantila.com/catalog/st...tform-_-818564
        Earthlite Little Step Platform | Mercantila

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

I just remembered we got my late mom for the same purpose--an aerobic step. The choices were much more diverse, they had a non-slip top, and for some reason, stuff for workouts is much less expensive than stuff for seniors.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by gwyneth
            I just remembered we got my late mom for the same purpose--an aerobic step. The choices were much more diverse, they had a non-slip top, and for some reason, stuff for workouts is much less expensive than stuff for seniors.
            THAT is what we are looking for! That's it! I looked on line after you mentioned it and found them.

It has been a great help. The aerobic steps are adjustable in height, light weight and large sized.

Thanks! I have been looking for a couple of days and my sisters have been looking in stores for weeks. They/we were just looking in the wrong places and using the wrong names.

I really appreciate this. Aging is slowing our thinking!
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
              They/we were just looking in the wrong places and using the wrong names.
              And so was I... (You can probably tell I haven't had a whole lotta experience with aerobics... ). Good call, Gwyneth.

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by leehljp
                I really appreciate this. Aging is slowing our thinking!
                Well, it must have been slowing mine, as well, because it didn't hit me right away.

Aside from the non-slip top, they must have a non-slip bottom because otherwise step aerobics would be called "catch the flipped up step aerobics".

They are also light enough that she was willing to move hers herself instead of yelling for someone else to do it, and there was some ego salve, as well, in having a piece of sports gear instead of a geriatric fixture.

Plus the bright color made it much easier for her to spot in the shadows under the bed.

I believe one of my sisters found them at Wal-mart.

Comment

Working...