• Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Classic rock--who's left?

I was thinking today as I was setting up the table saw to cut some boards, what music groups from the 50's-60's-70's are still around *with their original lineup*? The Who, the Stones, etc., etc., have all had personnel changes. I can only think of one seminal group from the 60's that's still active and still with the original members from 40 years ago. Interestingly, that group is only around because of a miracle of modern technology.

Any guesses? Any others you can think of?
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

That's a tough one... Being a front-line musician from that era does not carry with it a great life expectancy.

Comment

• russd
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2004
      • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

Maybe C,S,N and Young.
      Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

Candidates include:

Golden Earing: the Dutch group was founded in 1961, has had the same personnel since 1970

Z.Z. Top: Same personnel since 1969, though none original

Crosby, Stills, Nash: periodically intact and touring since 1969

Pink Floyd: Special case, since Syd left so long ago, Gilmour replaced him and is almost original, so Gilmour/Mason/Wright certainly are more of the original personnel than Waters and whoever he plays with.

Talking Heads, ELO, Aerosmith: Don't know when founded, but quite a while ago

Kinks: Don't know history of lineup but founded in '64

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

Does Rush count? They did change line-up after the first album, but not since, that was in 74
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Keith, I got this thread up again just to suggest Rush but you beat me to it.

Anyway, two other thoughts are Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues.

I read somewhere that the Four Tops kept the same lineup for 40 years (I think until someone died in '04 or '05). Edit: Have discovered it was from 1956 to 1997, when Lawrence Payton died.

And earlier this year, Sly Stone actually performed a couple of times with (I believe) virtually all of the Family Stone.
            Last edited by gwyneth; 09-03-2007, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
              • Feb 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.

My daughter took me to see Bon Jovi last year when they played here and I have to say that they sound as good as ever and still put on the best live show I have ever seen.
              Tom Hintz
              NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• germdoc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Omaha, NE
                • BT3000--the gray ghost

The only seminal group I can think of that is still playing together exactly as they started is Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. And that is only due to the wonders of modern technology, the liver transplant, which has kept David Crosby perking along.

Interesting article in Rolling Stone recently about how they met up and what the scene was like in California in 1967. Man, those were the days...

Now, if it were possible to go back and hang out with any group during its heyday I'd vote for the Byrds with Gram Parsons. That was the catalyst for CSNY, the Eagles, Poco, as well as virtually the entire Southern California sound and alternative country. Too bad Gram couldn't save himself; he was a genius and a visionary.
                Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by germdoc
                  Now, if it were possible to go back and hang out with any group during its heyday I'd vote for the Byrds with Gram Parsons. That was the catalyst for CSNY, the Eagles, Poco, as well as virtually the entire Southern California sound and alternative country. Too bad Gram couldn't save himself; he was a genius and a visionary.
                  Yes, yes, yes.

But that's not all he sparked. "Influence" isn't nearly strong enough for his effect on Emmylou Harris, whose entire career took a different turn based on the work she did with him.

Several of their duets are as good as any ever recorded: Love Hurts, We'll Sweep Out the Ashes, That's All It Took.

While his music and The Band's changed rock, his influence on country music was also enormous.

One of the reasons he hated the term 'country rock', (preferring 'cosmic American music') was that it failed to credit the 'western' part of country-western.

The whole outlaw genre--Jerry Jeff Walker, Willie Nelson, etc.--was just one of the ways G.P. influenced country music.

There used to be a Gram Parsons-tribute bed and breakfast in Tampa--I don't know if it's still there.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Do one person sensations count?
                    Chuck Berry!
                    He is CLASSIC and been around since the '50s.

I saw where Bo Diddley was hospitalized last week!

The 70's - that is too recent!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• hermit
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Somerset, PA, USA.

Just another note, being a huge Jethro Tull fan, I can tell you that group has changed quite a few times over the years. I think only Ian Anderson and Martin Barre are originals.

Todd

Comment

• germdoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Omaha, NE
                        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by leehljp
                        Do one person sensations count?
                        Chuck Berry!
                        He is CLASSIC and been around since the '50s.

I saw where Bo Diddley was hospitalized last week!

The 70's - that is too recent!
                        Since I specified a group, if that person is a schizophrenic, that would in fact count. Too bad Syd Barrett left us...
                        Jeff

Comment

• Sawduster
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Originally posted by hermit
                          Just another note, being a huge Jethro Tull fan, I can tell you that group has changed quite a few times over the years. I think only Ian Anderson and Martin Barre are originals.

Todd
                          One of my favorites in the 70's also, though the LOML couldn't get past some of the lyrics. But man, that flute was awsome.
                          Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                          ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Well, since there are so many country rock lovers here, I'll point out that I saw Richie Furay playing for free on the Pearl St. Mall in Boulder last week.

It was fun, but a bit unnerving that a hundred grey-haired types were standing around listening, while a sea of college-aged kids swirled past.

JR
                            JR

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by gwyneth
                              Z.Z. Top: Same personnel since 1969, though none original
                              Eh?

Gibbons, Hill, and Beard are the original, founding members of ZZ Top -- or so says everything I've ever read about the band.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...