• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

A Sears Rant

Not a big deal but I couldn't believe it.
    I stopped at Sears today to pick up some new polo shirts, I found what I wanted and remembered that my handkerchiefs were getting thread bare.
    Well I searched the mens department and no handkerchiefs were to be found. I asked the check out person and the reply was "We only carry them during the Christmas season". I guess you have to use your sleeve the rest of the year.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Hehe...that figures.
    You can't buy them online either.
    What's even stranger, do a search on 'handkerchiefs ' on the sears site.
    You won't get what you think you would.
    Besides that, they were doing some website maintenance over the weekend and the site is practically useless now.
    I bet Walmart has them!
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Pathpounder
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006
      • Roland, Arkansas
      • Ridgid 3650

Funny you mention that. We were in Target last week and also looking for handkerchiefs. We had two salespersons scouring the store when someone asked a manager. He said we don't carry them. I guess it explains all the snotty nose kids now days.....

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

I actually consider it repulsive to carry around a rag with bodily fluids in it stuffed in my pocket. Seems a lot of others do as well.

Comment

• final_t
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003

Go to JoAnn's, buy some of the reminants (sp?), cut into proper size, serge the ends. Or if you're like my house, you've probably got enough fabric cutoffs to make a thousand.

Comment

• pecker
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003

What's wrong with shop rags?

Comment

• prlundberg
              Established Member
              • May 2006
              • Minnesota
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
              I actually consider it repulsive to carry around a rag with bodily fluids in it stuffed in my pocket. Seems a lot of others do as well.
              So what is your alternative when you are not around a box of tissue and a garbage can?

Not having anything is much more repulsive.
              Phil

Comment

• Hoakie
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Iowa
                • Craftsman 21829

I guess I don't find myself away from a bathroom and toilet paper very often, and on the occasions where I do, a good farmer blow buys some time
                John
                To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Ask your doctor why... Here's what mine told me: The fact that you don't throw out a handkerchief is exactly the problem. Carrying a gooey snot-rag around in your pocket spreads germs, especially when you put it in the washer and the germs are transferred to everything else in there. He says to carry tissues around, use them when needed, and throw them away immediately. The reason the stores don't sell handkerchiefs so much anymore is that they can't sell very many, since apparently, more people are hearing similar advice.

Comment

• Tequila
                    • Aug 2004
                    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Throw me in the "handkerchiefs are pretty disgusting" camp. Tissues are much more sanitary.
                    -Joe

Comment

• russd
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Nov 2004
                      • SilverSpring, MD, USA.

I always carry a lease two bandanas on me...have many uses, from wearing on my bald head to prevent sunburn to soaking up sweat to providing shade for my 5 year old in the car( pinched between window and door frame)

I keep a supply of fast food napkins in the car for my nose.
                      Rusty

If I had more room, I'd buy more tools!

Comment

• germdoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Omaha, NE
                        • BT3000--the gray ghost

It is funny how we went from being a hankie-carrying nation to a disposable tissue one in 1 generation. Could be improved infection control measures, or could be a hidden marketing ploy by Kleenex. As an Infectious Disease doc, you don't have to ask which I prefer.
                        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Sawduster
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

The unadorned linen handkerchiefs are what I use for French Polish applicators. Buy them at Wallyworld for a couple bucks a dozen. Fancy ones used to be a part of every mans wardrobe, folded carefully and slightly protruding from his dress jacket pocket.

They are better for French Polishing than old t-shirts. Now if someone could tell me where to find 100% wool socks in Central Texas I could replace the cheesecloth padding in the applicator.
                          Last edited by Sawduster; 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM.
                          Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                          ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by Sawduster

Now if someone could tell me where to find 100% wool socks in Central Texas I could replace the cheesecloth padding in the applicator.
                            Try REI. Don't know if there's an REI store in Central TX, but you can try the web site.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Kristofor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by Sawduster
                              Fancy ones used to be a part of every mans wardrobe, folded carefully and slightly protruding from his dress jacket pocket.
                              Well I don't know if they're fancy, but the silk ones that go with various suits and ties are the only handkerchiefs I've ever owned, and I would NEVER actually use one for blowing my nose as I am firmly in the "that's gross" camp.

If one is inclined to walk around with a mucus loaded rag why not cut up a pair of atheletic socks or a towel or something simlarly absorbent?

Comment

Working...