Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Smacked Him After He Paid Me!!!

A true and funny story.

A few years back I bid a small restaurant remodel for table tops and counters. The one condition to my getting the bid was that it had to be done in one week. A general contractor was in charge of this job and I collected the first of three payments upon signing the contract on a Friday. The second payment was to be made on Wednesday, while into the work and checked out by the contractor. The third and final payment was to be made on Saturday, the day of installation.

I finished the installation on Saturday afternoon, and received the third check. At the beginning of the next week, my bank calls me and tells me all three checks bounced. After many calls and runarounds, I finally arranged an afternoon to meet with the contractor in his office to collect cash for the checks.

That morning I had scuffed up my right hand pretty good and had it in a bandage. When I met with him that afternoon, he apologized for the problem and handed me an envelope with the cash and I gave him the checks. He asked me about my bandaged hand. I told him that this day was my collection day, and earlier I had met with another contractor that was an SOB and owed me money for a long time. I told him after I collected the money that I smacked him. The look on this guys face was priceless.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Well done, sir, well done!

I keep an "Ashes of Problem Students" urn on my desk. From time to time I invite troublemakers to take a look in it. It's half full of ashes.

Cuts down on some potential problems....

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Has this contractor let you bid anymore jobs for him?
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Tell him you hurt your hand digging a hole in which to bury the last guy who gave you a rubber check...

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

I can imagine his look. Maybe he will think about that the next time he writes a bad check.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by gad5264
            Has this contractor let you bid anymore jobs for him?

Actually you wouldn't think so, but he did contact me for another bid at a later date with a similar "time is critical" project, and I courteously declined with the "I'm swamped". Some jobs aren't worth the hassle or aggravation, especially with his type of track record.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Actually you wouldn't think so, but he did contact me for another bid at a later date with a similar "time is critical" project, and I courteously declined with the "I'm swamped". Some jobs aren't worth the hassle or aggravation, especially with his type of track record.
              That's the truth, C-Man. Those customers who won't let you make money or won't pay you need to be your competition's customers.

Comment

Working...