• crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Bullitt

I am watching the car chase scene.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Originally posted by crokett
    I am watching the car chase scene.
    FANTASTIC movie, one of my all time favorites
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LYU370
      Established Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Streamwood, IL.

Could be the best car chase scene ever... Either Bullitt or the French Connection.
      Andy

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

One of my favorites also.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

naw, I still like blazing saddles, but enough of my sickness, what makes those two chases stand out?

Cinematography (wow got it right w/out the spell checker)
          Tempo
          Duration
          Blues Brother Police Car index
          what
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

My dad has always talked high about the Bullit car chase, i have yet to see it. But in all the rest that i saw, i was impressed with the raw and rough chase in the first of the Bourne movies (Bourne Identity) in the middle of Paris (i think). Anybody seen it?

Now I want to see Bullit as soon as I can lay my hands on it. Hopefully local library, else Blockbuster (have cancelled my Netflix, much as i loved it).
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
              ...i have yet to see it.
              A Mustang and Charger, both smokin' fast, flying (literally) through the streets of San Francisco.

This movie is Mandatory Man Viewing (along with The Dirty Dozen, the Great Escape and one John Wayne movie from this list - Stagecoach, Red River, The Searchers, True Grit). Do not post here again until you're ready to report how this chase scene ends!

JR
              JR

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by pierhogunn
                what makes those two chases stand out?
                Well as JR said, in Bullitt it is a Mustang chasing a Charger (the real Charger, not the new knockoff) and it is before special effects so it is actual stunt driving. Plus the camera angles are interesting - they show the scene through the eyes of the Charger driver, then they show the same scene a few seconds later through the eyes of Steve McQueen.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by JR
                  A Mustang and Charger, both smokin' fast, flying (literally) through the streets of San Francisco.

This movie is Mandatory Man Viewing (along with The Dirty Dozen, the Great Escape and one John Wayne movie from this list - Stagecoach, Red River, The Searchers, True Grit). Do not post here again until you're ready to report how this chase scene ends!

JR
                  Hmm, having watched all of the others on your list, this makes to my 'critical' list. just saw my library has a copy, have put a hold on it.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• ragswl4
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Winchester, Ca
                    • C-Man 22114

The Bourne movies have great chases, but the Bullit car chase is the greatest. I don't think there is any way the movie industry would make a car chase in this day and age the way that the chase in Bullit was made. Also, Steve McQueen was a real race car driver.

Off Topic:
                    McQueen was also a great actor who was never really recognized for his talent. Probably the HollyWood crowd didn't care for his personality. Actually the same with John Wayne, he was not recognized until very late in the game. "The Shootist", a great movie, JW's last. Just my opinion.
                    RAGS
                    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                    sigpic

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Count the number of wheel covers that come off. I believe the charger throws 5 (!?).
                      Last edited by ironhat; 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM. Reason: add info
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by ragswl4
                        Actually the same with John Wayne, he was not recognized until very late in the game.
                        IMHO, what held Wayne back was that his best roles were in oaters. It just doesn't seem to be possible to get serious awards for roles in westerns. The Best Actor Oscar for True Grit was a "lifetime" gift.

I used to not like John Wayne. Yes, I can freely admit this, now that I've seen the light. When I was growing up John Wayne starred in The Green Berets, McQ., Brannigan, The Cowboys, The Sons of Katie Elder. All ok movies, but not star turns.

His best roles, though, were in John Ford westerns. Stories that meant something, characters who had character, outstanding photography, realistic creation of the time (correct uniform/costume, good horsemanship, realistic natives (not caricatures)). And great acting by the Duke. The characters in Red River and The Searchers rival any film portayal by any great actor, IMO.

I'm less enamored with McQueen, although the motorcycle scene in The Great Escape qualifies him in the pantheon of the greats! He was surely a good actor, understated and complete. But he never showed me the ability to overpower a strong movie, the way Wayne could. Admittedly, he didn't appear in as much junk as Wayne, either.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by ironhat
                          Count the number of wheel covers that come off. I believe the charger throws 5 (!?).
                          And they pass the same green VeeDub about the same number of times.

Still a fantastic sequence, though, principally because of what David and Rags said: it's The Real Deal. Taken in the context of 1968, when the movie was released, it was truly ground-breaking.
                          Larry

Comment

• Stormbringer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Floral Park, NY
                            • Bosch 4000

RE: Bullit Chase Scene.

Before you watch it online (link below)....

As a car buff, I'm want to set the stage so you can really appreciate it. Some pointers before you watch it:
                            If your connection speed can handle it, and the picture doesn't pixilate, click the lower right icon in the viewer to enlarge the video playback. I "get into it" better watching it full size.

Secondly, make sure your volume is up. The sinister jazzy music only plays until the chase starts. If I recall, it was Steve Mcqueen that insisted no music plays during the chase and that microphones capture the engines only. Apparently this was a first and was thought of a motion picture suicide at the time. Well, those who know the movie, know this was genious.

Knowing what's about to happen, I still get goosebumps when bad bad guy #1 buckles his seatbelt.

For those that never saw it here is an an excellent quality version of the famous Bullitt chase scene

Enjoy,
                            Greg
                            Last edited by Stormbringer; 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• gad5264
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Originally posted by Stormbringer
                              RE: Bullit Chase Scene.

Well, those who know the movie, know this was genious.

Enjoy,
                              Greg
                              OH, so true. The sound of those finely tuned engines is music to the ears.
                              Grant
                              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

Working...