• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The Far Side

I ran across one of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons this morning. Made me laugh. They're my favorites. One of the ones on my "tops" list is one showing a movie theater for insects. It shows all different kinds in the seats watching the coming attractions for a new horror movie titled Killer Windshield.

Any other Far Side fanatics out there, and what's your favorite?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

One of my favorites shows a dinosaur at a podium speaking to an auditorium full of other dinosaurs. The caption reads: "The future's pretty bleak, gentlemen. The world's climate is changing, the mammals are taking over, and we all have a brain the size of a walnut..."

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

One of my favorites shows two pilots at the controls. One says something like, "Let's get this baby airborne". In the next panel, you can see them in the cockpit of an enormous baby.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Three of my favorites: in the first, a kid is seated at the kitchen table with mom in the background washing dishes. The clothes are a little odd, but the oddest thing is the kid sitting there with arms upraised and the milk in his glass is parted to each side. The caption reads, "Moses as a kid."

Number two is a bunch of students in a classroom. One is raising his hand and he says, "Mr. Smith, may I be excused? My brain hurts."

Number three is a set of bookshelves stretching off into infinity. There's fire and brimstone and devils with pitchforks all around. All the book titles are things like "World's Hardest Story Problems," "1,000,000,000,001 Story Problems," "Brain Straining Story Problems," etc. The caption reads "****'s Library."

I just thought of another one: In the first panel, a bunch of cows standing on two legs around in a field, smoking, talking, etc. The lookout yells "Car!" and in the second panel the cows are all standing on all fours eating grass, etc.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Two more: a bunch of surgeons around a patient. Some sort of organ goes "sproinggggg" out of the body and one of the surgeons says, "Watch where that lands, we might need it later."

The last (I promise): a bunch of guys in white coats around an obviously not-well-built rocket. The caption is, "Well, gentlemen, we have to face facts. None of us are rocket scientists."

g.
          Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• mpc
            • Feb 2005
            • Cypress, CA, USA.
            • BT3000 orig 13amp model

A bunch of chickens laying around at odd angles, sprawled across signs, rocks, etc... All with "I'm stuck" looks on their faces. caption reads "boneless chicken ranch."

That and a couple tigers staring at gazelles or some similar animals that have "TURBO" emblazened across them. One tiger to another: "Forget these guys"
            I liked this one since I happen to drive turbocharged cars.

Caveman throwing a spear... totally missing his target. Other caveman heckling him yelling "AIR SPEAR... AIR SPEAR..."

Far Side is one of the best.

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

The two that stick out in my head are:

1) There's a gifted and talented kid trying to enter the door to the school
              labeled "Pull" by pushing.

2) This one happened to appear when I was in college and I still had fond
              memories of high school reading The Catcher in the Rye. The picture showed 2
              hospital gurneys with bodies on them being pushed towards each other through
              a tall field of grass. The caption read "When a body meet a body coming
              through the rye." I clipped it out and gave it to my high school English teacher
              when I went to homecoming.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Another one in my "tops" list.

There's this outhouse in the middle of no where with Tonto holding two horses, and saying: "Hurry Lone Ranger, the music is starting".

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

He has many nice ones. Couple of my favorites:
                  1. A housecat at the window, totally pasted all over the glass, looking out at an accident: Two trucks collided, one labelled "Bob's small flightless birds", another "John's assorted slow rodents", depositing said birds and rodents all over the place.

2. All time favorite: woman driving, looking in the rearview mirror, which is completely filled up with a huge, bloodshot eye, and has an inscription: "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

When my daughter was in 3rd grade she came home with an art project. It was pieces of cotton with small beaks made of orange construction paper all inside a corral with an overhead sign saying, "Al's boneless chicken ranch". I thought I'd die laughing. This was before we had ever seen the boneless cxn cartoon by Lason. We saved that one in a keepsake folder.

I also like the one of the farmer standing with fists on his hips looking at the car load of cows looking back at him, captioned, "When the cows come home". There are so many... This could be the new Song Game thread.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

One of my favorites is the dog riding in the car and he is calling to his buddies "Hey, Guess what? I'm going to the vet to get tutored!".

The other is a generic small dog standing at the espresso machine. You can see the sun just coming up through the window. The caption is "How nervous little dogs start their day".
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

One of my favorites is a guy lying on a couch and a psychiatrist is listening to him and writing on a note pad "Just plain nuts".

Another is a guy sitting on top of a mammoth looking down at the mammoth through a microscope. Caption reads "Its a mammoth".

One of my daughters used to get me Larson's desk calendar every Christmas. I had usually read all the pages by the 26th, just couldn't wait. His stuff remains the best, IMO.
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

This is scary!

I remember and can picture ALL of the ones mentioned. Is that the sign of a misspent youth?

g.
                          Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• jon_ramp
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • western Chicago burb
                            • Craftsman 21829

My favorite was of a angry moth opening the door in the morning for her tattered and beat-up looking husband. The caption was something like “You were out at Johnson’s porch light again last night weren’t you.”

Comment

• ExYankee
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • Pleasant View, Tn.
                              • BT3100-frankensaw

Nuts!
                              Crokett beat me to the dog getting tutored.
                              John Dyer
                              ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

Working...