• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Does God care what we choose to name ourselves

Just looking at an earlier post by DUD where he gives his brother's name, while asking for prayers, and that got me to thinkning

The name that we use is the name that our parents saw fit to give us upon our birth, or a name we chose...

Does this name mean anything to God, when God thinks about me, does he think, "Gee, I wonder why Dan thought he could get away with that"

I do understand that there are those who do not believe in a Supreme being, or what not, but I am sorta tired today, and my mind wandered onto this topic, and I thought, why not let the Stand Up Philosophers over here take a swing at this one...
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It seems that whenever God did have a specific name in mind he let the parents know ahead of time, and if they got it wrong, Jesus corrected it in the 2nd half.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Dustmight
      It seems that whenever God did have a specific name in mind he let the parents know ahead of time, and if they got it wrong, Jesus corrected it in the 2nd half.

!!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Hi 999,098,752,099,167,983,

Maybe God just goes by numbers. But you'll have to wait a while till you can ask him yourself.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• DonHo
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Shawnee, OK, USA.
          • Craftsman 21829

Well I haven't had any burning bush conversations with God and I don't know if he thinks of me as Don or not, however I'm quite sure when someone uses my name to lift me up in prayers he knows who they are praying for. In the same way, I'm sure when I ask for prayer for an "unspoken" reason, he knows what I need. He is God after all.

DonHo
          Don

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by DonHo
            Well I haven't had any burning bush conversations with God and I don't know if he thinks of me as Don or not, however I'm quite sure when someone uses my name to lift me up in prayers he knows who they are praying for. In the same way, I'm sure when I ask for prayer for an "unspoken" reason, he knows what I need. He is God after all.

DonHo

Yeah...afterall, omnipotence does have some benefits!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dkhoward
              • Dec 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
              • bt3000

hmmm . . . I guess I don't really care what God calls me, as long as he calls me home when the time is right!
              Dennis K Howard
              www.geocities.com/dennishoward
              "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Number is right

Numbers must be right, because when your number is up its all over.
                Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• mater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • SC, USA.

Originally posted by dkhoward
                  hmmm . . . I guess I don't really care what God calls me, as long as he calls me home when the time is right!
                  Amen to that.
                  Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• DonHo
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                    • Craftsman 21829

Yeah...afterall, omnipotence does have some benefits!
                    Well I'm sure omnipotence does have a lot of benefits but in this case I think it's omniscience that would be of more use

DonHo
                    Don

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by DonHo
                      Well I'm sure omnipotence does have a lot of benefits but in this case I think it's omniscience that would be of more use

DonHo
                      Ha! That was the word I was looking for, but couldn't spell it to look it up and check the definition!

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I'll answer from a programmer's standpoint. When you write a program, you might call a given variable 'X', in order to have convenient reference to it. But when said program is compiled into a binary executable, all those names are discarded, and are replaced with physical memory addresses.

God operates on machine language level. Every soul has its physical memory address, and whatever referral aliases we use for the sake of convenience are of no consequence.

Comment

Working...