• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

"That's one small step for (a) man ..."

Thirty-eight years ago today since Neil Armstrong supposedly blew his lines.

Wow. Hard to believe it's been that long since I sat and watched those blurry yet unspeakably exciting images on our black-and-white TV. I always remember this day because my family moved to Anchorage on July 20, 1968, so one year later we become official residents of the State of Alaska on the same day Apollo 11 landed on the moon.

Also on this day, in 1976, Hammerin' Hank socked #755 out of the park. That's already been 31 years. Man, I'm gettin' old ...
    Larry
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Originally posted by LarryG
    ... Man, I'm gettin' old ...
    No one is arguing with you!!

It always gets me when I stop and think how long it's been since this or that happened. Sometimes it seems like it was yesterday but it was 20 years ago. Sometimes it seems like 20 years ago and it was just last month.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• MilDoc

I remember --- but I always thought the way Neil actually said it was better!

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by LarryG
        ..........Man, I'm gettin' old ...
        The alternative is less palatable!!!

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Time flies when you are having fun.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by mater
            Time flies when you are having fun.
            Or as the frog says: "Time's fun when you're havin' flies!"

I was 11 or 12 at the time, and I remember arguing with my mom to stay up and watch. She eventually relented, and I watched every second of the moon walk. Afterwards I went outside and stared up at the moon and thought "there are people up there. Right now!"

I've seen every minute of every moon walk. I still can't believe we just turned away for so long. By now I shoulda been living on the moon. Of course, some of my students say I do already....

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
              • Dec 2005
              • Russell, NY, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Isn't it strange how you remember things: I was in Montreal at the ballpark watching the Bluejays play (can't remember who they played) when the news was flashed on the scoreboard. Can close my eyes and see it all! Just like can remember where and what I was doing when JFK was shot. In Sonderstrom, Greenland working the North Alantic air traffic control center for the Danish goverment. One of my more "fun" jobs, by the way. Got up from the console, went into another room and admittedly shed some tears. Some stick!
              RuffSawn
              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                Just like can remember where and what I was doing when JFK was shot.
                I was in elementary school, and the news was whispered down the line as we were queuing up to go back inside after recess. Forty-odd years later, I bet I could still go and stand within ten feet of where I was standing when I heard the news.
                Larry

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by gsmittle

I've seen every minute of every moon walk. I still can't believe we just turned away for so long. By now I shoulda been living on the moon. Of course, some of my students say I do already....

g.
                  I feel that. There hasn't been a person on the moon during my entire life or that of anyone younger than their mid-thirties. I hope the current objective of going back then on to Mars doesn't end up canceled with changes in government.

What are the major space events I remember from my life... Positive: Hubble pics of all sorts, Mars rovers, unmanned missions to planets, asteroids, etc. Negative: Skylab crash, Challenger Explosion, Columbia crash. The negatives are all larger than the positives which is sad...

Comment

Working...