• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I Saw The White Light

I always considered myself in pretty good shape. I've led a very active life. I don't always eat well, especially when I was single. Since I'm not a chef, I ate out a lot, ergo, the menus.

I didn't have a complete physical from the time I ended my military tour to about 2001, about 30 years. I've got to say I felt pretty good for as physically demanding the work is. But I guess I'm like a car that gets up in mileage and then one thing after another starts to go.

I've always thought my demise would be the result of a military confrontation, craziness on a motorcycle, some kind of driving mishap, or maybe a low flying helicopter. I came close to pushin' up daisies in 2001. If I didn't catch the cancer soon enough I would have had about three months.

But to think of buying the farm on a surgery table is beyond my comprehension. I had this same procedure about two years ago and I forgot how it affected me then.

I had another one last Tuesday and the forms to fill out were like buying this house. It was one waiver after another, and all kinds of releases of liability. They can kill you and get away with it because you gave them permission. Well. this time I went out and for how long I don't know. I remember seeing a bright white light and I thought that this was the light we've been hearing about. But it was the surgery light directly above me. To me it was like looking directly at the sun. By the time I recovered I was still out of it. It was close. I was out of it until sometime Friday. The whole week was like a dream. Time lost.

Maybe it's just me, but I never thought about good health until there is an illness. So, I'm glad to still be around.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Well, C'man, I'm glad you didn't see the light go out, and Glad you are still with us. I always enjoy your posts and love the pictures of your work, (which you don't post enough ).
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

CM, pretty much what Hank said. I always enjoy your advice and really appreciate how much you share your experience with newbies like me. Take it easy during the next few days.

Anna

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
        Well, C'man, I'm glad you didn't see the light go out, and Glad you are still with us. I always enjoy your posts and love the pictures of your work, (which you don't post enough ).

Well Hank, I'm thinkin' I must have some feline in me, you know, the "nine lives" thingie. I don't know how many are left. This time was close. Of course before starting, they never give you the odds. One in so many thousand or so. I could be the one.

Anyway, too late to worry about it now. I guess it was somebody else's time.

As for pictures, most of mine were taken before digital, and some are pretty old. I guess that doesn't matter. Work is work. I've got some stashed away in storage with some menus. My usual practice was being in such a rush to get the work done and installed, picture taking was the last thing on my mind. At the time I never thought that people would be interested in seeing woodworking pictures. It's like "Wanna see pictures of my grandkids?"

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

My best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Wow! I'm glad you made it through. Take it easy for a while, but don't be a stranger.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Hey Cab,

Hang in there, don't go anywhere, I'll miss you. Besides, you're too ornery to buy the farm.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Hang in there buddy! Best wishes for your recovery.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Not sure how far you went, but...

Welcome Back!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I'm just glad you paid your light bill...

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

I hope you have a quick recovery.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Don't turn out the lights, cause the party ain't over till the parties over!

Speedy recovery and then back to "full speed ahead" and dang the torpedoes..

Regards...

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Glad you made it thru, take it easy and get well.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                            • Delta Unisaw

I'm with Pappy, Welcome Back! Be sure to take it easy now, us old farts just don't bounce back like we used to.
                            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

I'd like to thank those for their support. Funny thing about life, and how timely things can be. Not too long ago, just a few weeks, I posted this thread. It made me think just reading it again.

I'm not a religious freak, or do I want to start some controversy about religion. But I started to think about the total plan of life. There are situations in life that lend themselves to ask what is the purpose of life. I sometimes wonder at the complexity of it all trying to put into some kind of perspective of where we came from. I'm familiar with some of the theories of the start, like the big bang and all.

But there is a very close proximity of everything, To think we evolved from the sea, or an explosion, as we are now is mystifying. Like the interaction of nature with humans. The carbon dioxide/oxygen thing, for example. Or just how complex our eyes are, or two sexes. There seems to be a master plan far beyond comprehension.

I guess there are times that makes one wonder what their purpose is in life. I thought about the generality of it all and as we grow up we generate our ongoing reasons for the next day, week, month, even years. We don't really plan our lives like there is any eminent end. We get 30 year mortgages, even plan for a vacation that may be months away. What I do know is how precious each day can be. No matter how bad tomorrow seems, it's a lot better than the alternative.

Comment

Working...