• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm Thinking of Starting My Own Business

I am a geek in my day job. I am thinking of starting a small PC consulting/repair business specializing in after-work hours (for when people are actually home) either for home PC's, or small businesses without an IT staff. I REALLY don't want to, but I know I would make more than LOML would working retail. I would limit myself to 1-2 nights a week, and MAYBE Saturday mornings. Small businesses would be ideal, and I would LOVE that.

I have fixed countless PC's/networks over the years for family and friends, refusing payment because they are f/f, but more because I don't want to "own" ANY future problems with said PC's--not that I cause any, but any future issues MUST be related to something I did, if you know what I mean. If I take no money, I don't worry about it. If I take money from strangers, I WILL worry about it.

I would have no storefront, only a cell phone. I would make no bones about after-hours only, probably playing that up a positive. I already have tools, so there really wouldn't be much overhead. Places like Geek Squad charge WAY too much, and I honestly enjoy helping people avoid that--which explains the stack of PC's from fellow co-workers I have fixed over the years FOR FREE.

I guess my fears are:

1) Going to people's homes--not a big fan of that, but I don't want a storefront, or people coming to my house. House calls could be a big seller.

2) The afforementioned liability of being "responsible" for issues that have nothing to do with me--of course, I have no problem fixing the ones I did cause.

3) Just general liability. If a file is lost, or hardware is damaged, or anything else.

Any advice on these, or any other general owning your own business issues? It scares the daylights out of me, but I know there is a market, and I could be successful.
    Joe
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

I own a couple of businesses and I am just giggling at the 1-2 nights per week. It will snow ball.

Non-Wavier would take care of liability for damages to the system. A well drafted non-waiver of liability against damages to data would be a great practice.

#3 is not general liability but professional liability. General liability is you knocking a $5000 vase off a shelf when you are walking through the home. You can likely get that liability coverage through your homeowners policy. As your agent, or better yet as the company directly. As far as professional liability (ie damage to systems, data, you causing company down time and loss of income, etc) you would need to obtain through a agent/company specializing in same. You local State Farm / Allstate agent is not going to be able to help you out with this professional liability. Coverage will likely be expensive since you have no track record etc.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

If there's one piece of advice you should heed, it's Make a business plan. It can be very simple, but you should have one. I'm sure there are tons of sites that will offer suggestions on drawing up a simple business plan. It does not need to be complicated.

If you are really serious about a business, you might look into free local advice via S.C.O.R.E. You can find them through a Google search. In all likelyhood, they have something not far from your home. Good luck.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Had my own design/consulting bizz for many years now. There's a lot of insurance available to cover almost any liability, although professional liability vendors might require some certifications or other licensure to demonstrate your qualifications. Some of this stuff is costly, but you just have to consider it a necessary evil and build the cost into your pricing. Also, make sure you have some home-business casualty insurance, because you can't assume your homeowners coverage applies to the business assets you have at home. And do as others have suggested... make a business plan. You may also wish to consider what your health coverage options are going to be if you leave your conventional job. Mine now runs $900 a month just for me. You may also wish to consider that folks might be hesitant to have a stranger come out to work on their computer. Your biggest draw might become your biggest problem. You may have to investigate some type of bonding, where your background is checked and backed in writing, for your customer's peace of mind. Otherwise, I can't advise you not to take the plunge. I'm glad I did it way back when. Just remember, some people are cut out for self-employment, and some people aren't. You be the judge. And good luck.

Comment

Working...