• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Very cool and cannot wait to own one

Check this article from Popular Mechanics on the future of personal computers:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...y/4217348.html
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • MilDoc

Saw that on the news. Looks interesting, but probably expensive.

Comment

• blame
      Established Member
      • May 2007
      • Northern MO
      • delta ts-220 or something like that

well i figured it was coming but i think that it going to be just like anything microsoft makes, full of bugs just look at MS's speech software or windows

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Awesome! I want one too.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Very "inovative" cough, cough, sputter, sputter.

Touch screens are nothing new, just computers have become powerfull enough to do stuff in real time.

Start here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGAKUForhM

His company has been selling to government groups for satellite images.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

A great development. I'm thinking of the possibilities in woodworking and doing drawings and sketches. I like the object on the table being able to be interfaced, (if that'd the term).

Comment

• backpacker85
              Established Member
              • Sep 2006
              • Dickson, TN
              • BT3100-1

Very cool stuff.

Several tools just got bumped down on my "must have" list. Bet this would boost my nerd score back up to the 90's.

Now if only the real object interface would work between an empty glass and a full pitcher of....hmmmm.
              Ken W.

Comment

• Texas splinter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Abilene, TX, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                Saw that on the news. Looks interesting, but probably expensive.
                NPR had a piece on this the other day. The microsoft spokesperson stated that they will "be available only to business and commercial users" for hte first few years. Cost around $10,000! They expect big hotel chains and sports bar chains to buy them
                "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
                Abilene, Texas

Comment

• knotley
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Canada.

Cyber Mann eyetap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPkdiP_EGw

Worth the 7 minutes to watch

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Wonder how long before they're infected with malware?

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• scorrpio
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I looks kinda cool, but in practical application...

For typing/mousing, the tactile feedback is very important. 'touch screen' typing is very blah.

Have they also invented fingerprint-impervious glass? If no, that cool-looking PC will look very uncool after 2-3 bags of nachos.

Ergonomics issue: image is best located at eye level. hand interface is best located at stomach level. Coimbining the two will put strain on either arms or neck. You can put up a display that needs only occasional manupulation, but for continuous work, this is no good.

For corporate environment - a conference table like that just won't work, cause whatever one person is doing will be sideways or upside-down to those sitting on other sides of table. Our company experimented with confrence tables incorporating a screen - the idea was quickly discarded in favor of a room design that has seats on 3 sides of table, and a large screen on a wall along 4th side.

Multi-touch seems interesting, but I believe that high-end digitizer tablets already have that - you can use tool with one hanf while manipulating properties of that tool with another, with both hands on the tablet.

That gimmick with placing a camera on table and gettign a picture from it to a PDA - again, a PC with bluetooth wireless will easily recognize any paired device in range and can put it on desktop for manipulation. You don't even need to put a camera anywhere - snap a picture, and PC sees it at once.

Now, direct mind-to-PC interface - that's something to look forward to.

Comment

Working...