• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

I hook the measuring device to a lunar voltaic panel (9 volt model) and keep the device charged up and on all the time. Got the panel at HF with a two year warranty cause I want to make at least 5 measurements.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• backpacker85
      Established Member
      • Sep 2006
      • Dickson, TN
      • BT3100-1

I'm think the time and vacuum arguments are moot points.

Considering earth's "escape velocity" is in the neighborhood of 11 or 12 km/sec, and sound only travels at 1100 fps, the sound will never reach the moon, but "fall harmlessly" back to earth.

Thinking back, maybe these stray ultrasonic waves dropping back randomly to earth explain car remote entry systems "operating over a cell phone"

....or why my dog sometimes sits and barks at the moon.....
      Ken W.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by backpacker85
        Considering earth's "escape velocity" is in the neighborhood of 11 or 12 km/sec, and sound only travels at 1100 fps, the sound will never reach the moon, but "fall harmlessly" back to earth.

I've seen the graphs of sound waves, and with the peaks and valleys they have sharp points. "Falling Harmlessly" back to Earth could be dangerous if one hit someone. Can you imagine just walking down the street, minding your own business, and getting smacked in the face with one of those "harmless" sound waves. I think it happened to me in traffic, cause All I heard was this booming base sound. As it starts to fall is it possible to "reel in the slack" like fishing line?

I tried the sun at first because it's easier to see in the daylight, but got that "camera flash" spot in my vision trying to see the red dot.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Can't do the sun in the daytime, gotta do it at night. One of the HF tool engineers (invented the flyswatter, I think) verified that it would only work at night. As far as those sharp pointed sonic waves go, HF is coming out with a sonic wave swatter (initially $19.95, but suspect there may be a coupon coming) to combat those sharp pointed devils. It will require 6-9volt batteries but it also has a sonic wave detector/tracker so it will be self pointing. Look for it in the fall or late summer. (comes with a carrying case, but most of us just throw that stuff away, cheap molded plastic thing).

PS: I am having too much fun, can't get my car washed or my shop cleaned up at this rate.
          RAGS
          sigpic

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by ragswl4
            Can't do the sun in the daytime, gotta do it at night. One of the HF tool engineers (invented the flyswatter, I think) verified that it would only work at night.

Now that you mentioned the "electronic fly swatter" from HF, I checked and it's on sale for $3.99.

I was wondering if it is hard to hang on to once it starts swatting.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I visited by good friend last weekend at a local RV park. He had purchased a similiar one at a swap meet in Yuma, AZ. He went on to tell me how inferior it was and went to Harbor Freight and bought the good one. I nearly rolled on the ground from laughter, which he didn't quite get which is understandable as he is not a tool junkie like me and rarely goes to HF. In any case it was a good laugh (luckily I didn't spill my wine) and he proceeded to show me (with little pieces of rib eye steak that he was BBQIN, no flies around) how it fried the little sob's. Another great time at the expense of HF.
              RAGS
              sigpic

Comment

• backpacker85
                Established Member
                • Sep 2006
                • Dickson, TN
                • BT3100-1

Not sure how hard they would be to hang onto, not having used one myself.
                Are they single-swat, semi-auto or full auto? From a safety-minded consumer's point of view, I think they would almost have to come equipped with a kill-switch.

I was thinking about a wrist loop, but without a kill-switch, I'm not sure my arm is long enough to keep my head safe if that thing ever got stuck on.
                Ken W.

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

I have personally never used one but my buddy just throws it at the flies and that seems to work the best. Maybe a boomarang mode would be nice if it had an Auto-Off after it fried the fly. I wouldn't want to get any appendages caught in that thing while it was on, on second thought maybe...........
                  RAGS
                  sigpic

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by backpacker85
                    Are they single-swat, semi-auto or full auto?
                    Full auto not entirely legal in USA, but I hear they can be found in VA and TX.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

This is notification that the FBI, DHS, and FAA are on their way to your door. Your laser was blocked (how is classified), but it is considered an act of terrorism to point one up. (may shine in a pilots eyes, being reflected off the windshield).

Cabinetman, may want to change your name to cellman, say hello Guantanamo

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

if you mounted your laser measuring gizmo to your automatic fly swatter you'd know exactly how far away the fly is!! and you'd have a trageting laser guide!
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...