• Show
Clear All
  • whitecobra
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
    • BT3K with most accessories

Florida/Georgia Build Team members needed

We are looking for a group of guys who want to be the next Bob Villa type personalities.

We are looking for carpenter/woodworkers and DIY guys who want to work together to create the next generation of DIY/How-To network gurus.

In the fall of '06 we created a new arena for people to learn how to do their own renovations, use tools, and accomplish at home projects. The response has been overwhelming and so we are moving forward with it to a national scale.

We are looking for guys in the Florida Georgia area (simply to minimize the travel it will eventually be expanded as the company grows) to join us in the project. Interested woodworkers do NOT need to be professionals in the trade in fact it might be better off if you were just good solid tool men/women rather then the "I know how to do it all" types.

The teams will meet here in Florida a few times a year to film home renovation and DIY and woodworking projects that will be edited and released over a few months. Build team members will be paid in stipend as well as stock so that they have some pride in ownership of this as it grows.

We have support from some big manufacturers and some HUGE ones have committed to us as particular benchmarks are achieved.

Interested "team members" should contact me via PM or email so that I can get you the directions on how to put in your application.

All applicants will need to create a small (read less then 15 minutes) video at their shop. There is NO need to edit it you can stop and start at will and video production "quality" doesn't count. We just want to see YOU behind the tools talking about what you are building (the project doesn't matter either)

We are looking for personality and "on air presence" Also the teams members need to fit together so that will be important as well. Eventually the build team will tour around and will be acknowledged as "celebrities" as things grow and sponsors decide to use them for promotional purposes.

Everything from cabinetry to flooring from decks to wood turning will be showcased so basically if you use tools to accomplish it and are looking to make some nice added money along with having some fun this might be the gig for you.

If you see yourself teaching others how to use tools lets see what you have. The venue is a real teaching "academy" not a 17 minute commercial for sponsors. We are here to teach people HOW to get projects done. Our cornerstone is that people can learn step by step so details DO count. We show things from the beginning straight through no breaks for commercials and when the shows begins again half the project is done. We show it all and we want the team to work to that end goal of helping to accomplish the tasks they want to undertake

Thanks and looking forward to reading your application and seeing your video (any format DVD VHS Mpeg just no old 8mm)

Dr D
    Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
    www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Er, ah, Doc. You may get more response from serious WW'ers if you don't associate us with Bob Villa, who definitely isn't!

That sounds like an excellent opportunity for someone. It's great of you to make the offer. Thanks Doc.

Comment

• whitecobra
      Established Member
      • Aug 2006

Ken I find it interesting that Villa gets bashed for not being a good woodworker sort of off line since he ISN'T, and never was, he is an architect.
      He mixes it up to get the audience interested and thinking he is "one of the boys" but he really isn't a woodworker (as if we needed to be told that)

I am HOPING to get the build team from our forum members before we have to resort to going the commercial route of agents and talent firms etc. I think from the years of posts here at BT3 that there are enough guys with enough ability and talent that we can do it here making this a real family project over just a "JOB" (Just Over Broke)

The investment guys are plating this as a $10 to 20M annual firm in a few years that is very exciting.

I have spent my whole career in the health care environment working with both docs/hospitals and supply and pharmaceutical firms this one is a different market but if my past alliances are any indication this one is going to be HUGE and for me most importantly FUN

Dr D
      www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

Dr Dave

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
        Er, ah, Doc. You may get more response from serious WW'ers if you don't associate us with Bob Villa, who definitely isn't!
        Hey now, it took him 3 years to master the correct form while holding a hammer and doing absolutely nothing.

D, good luck with the search. I hope you can find someone who not only has skills, but the personality to match. Some people can walk the walk and some can talk the talk. Hopefully you can find someone who can talk while they walk

Comment

• goslin23
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Richmond, TX
          • Rigid TS3650

I spent 15 years on air at commercial radio (DJ). I have no issues behind a mic or in the spotlight. However, I'm a beginner again (woodshop and carpentry in HS). I'd sound like a fool trying to describe what I was doing, because right now.. I have no idea!

-=gos=-
          If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for the clarification on Mr. Villa, Dr. Dave.
            I just spend some time on the web site, very interesting concept and the site implementation looks real good. My best to you.
            Perhaps at some time in the future we can destroy some ribs and make some sawdust. Tina and I are way past due to do some more canoe trips in Central Florida.

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Hmmm, getting old, already fat and losing my hair. Personality like a bent sh*tcan. Sounds like alot of fun but I can't imagine being on TV. More than that, I can't imagine anyone besides my grandson wanting to see me on TV Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jziegler
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Salem, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Good luck with your endeavor, Dr. Dave.

Sounds like a good project, should be fun. A great opportunity for the right people. Way too far away for me.

Keep us posted with how it comes together.

Jim

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Popeye
                  Hmmm, getting old, already fat and losing my hair. Personality like a bent sh*tcan. Sounds like alot of fun but I can't imagine being on TV. More than that, I can't imagine anyone besides my grandson wanting to see me on TV Pat
                  I was eating cantalope when I read your post. Now, I'm cleaning my keyboard... and still laughing.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Doc D...

Where were you guys a couple of weeks ago when a decrepide old guy with two bad knees had to hang on a 40' ladder and paint the house? And just before that had to run yet another 220 V and add a sub-panel to get the cyclone up and running? Well.... where were ya???

But all is not lost.. only finished 1 side of the trim hanging on that same 40' ladder. And... I purchased lumber in advance and laid it out back for the addition to the deck hoping the neighbors would take "pity" on an old man and build it for me. But.... so far, no dice!

So PM for directions as a black SWAT DIY van pulling up in the driveway would look awful good and certainly be comforting to a clueless old man who can't afford to pay to have it done and is too d*mn picky to have someone else do it anyway.

And BTW... Your new venture sounds very interesting. I would love to join you, but have about a two year commitment to the lovely "First Lady" after getting rid of kids so she can have some decent furniture not built for "boom-bang-crash-sorry mom" exposure to teens!

And besides... I'm sort of the quiet, shy type anyway! ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Highest hopes for over-whelming success on your project and waiting patiently in the drive-way for the DIY SWAT Van to show....
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2007, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• whitecobra
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

Thanks for your kind words

Dr Dave

Comment

• Brian G
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                        • G0899

That sounds like a fun venture. If you expand to Minneapolis/St. Paul, I'd be game to give something like that a try. I have no grand illusions that I'd be any good, it just sounds like something cool to try.

Good luck!
                        Brian

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Well if I were not so far away and already retired, I would take you up on that. This sounds like a great project.

Some of my ministry related freinds in Mississippi send groups of men on fix it up trips across the south and around the country doing different projects that run the gamut of interior and exterior - fix, change and build projects. A little different than HFH projects that focus on framing construction.

It sounds like your project is aimed at "embracing and teaching" a force of baby boomers who are about to enter the retirement age.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• whitecobra
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2006

Looking at the market there are 37 MILLION DIY home improvement types out there in the USA alone
                            Unfortunately MOST get involved without the needed help to accomplish the task at hand

Look at HD and Lowes numbers over the past 12 months. More and more people go to DIY or HGTV watch a 17 minute show on how easy building a project is then go to HD or Lowes buy the stuff and maybe some tools then go home and try to replicate the project. They fail MISERABLY and end up calling in a pro or if there hasn't been too much damage they abandon the whole thing. HD has learned it and now according to today's WSJ Lowes is learning it as well. Sales are tanking and people are NOT buying and doing things on their own.

I got a full kitchen worth of cabinets about 6 months back for the workshop from a young guy and his wife who were "doing it themselves" When I arrived they had the old torn out and were attempting to install the new. I GUARANTEE that to this day they are not done unless they called in a contractor. Mind you these were premade cabinets all that was needed was installation

We are looking to create a team of builders who will teach step by step on how to do build "stuff" Eventually we can grow this as large as they market directs. The industry is willing to step in and support it so there is NO loser in the process. The members get the info they need the members get free stuff paid for by the advertisers and the site wins by being at the forefront of a big wave of desire

Once the skills are learned they can be modified to allow for any project to be built but until they are learned the basic smallest change from what they saw on the TV will mess up the whole deal

Dr D

Dr Dave

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Dr. Dave: There is a lot there I agree with. This thread here about some tools for sale on Ebay goes 100% with what you are talking about. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30153

I know several people at work who are afraid to or don't know how to do simple repairs around the house. They hire people to come in to do things that most of us here would have had fixed in about 15 - 30 minutes MAX with a 10 min break in the middle, and a run to the local store for a replacement item.

Got one co-worker single, 40ish, home owner who until about a year ago didn't own any tools except a (all singular) screwdriver, pliers, and hammer, didn't even know differences between duct (duck) tape and masking tape. Today, I found out he thought a jigsaw and router looked the same, and did the same thing.
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...