• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Bird feeder

Anyone else feed the birds? We rarely see Rose Breasted Grossbeaks, but we've had a pair hanging around the feeder for the last week or so. Quite a treat to see. We also had an Oriole yesterday. Another rarity for us to see. Here's the Grossbeaks.

Ed
    Last edited by Ed62; 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM.
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

We get doves, blackbirds, blue jays, mockingbirds, eagles, buzzards, and a falcon occasionally. This picture of a red headed woodpecker was taken in our backyard under an avocado tree when LOML first got her digital camera.

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

My grandson informed me that a finch has moved into the bird house he built with me a few weeks ago.
      John Hunter

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

I do, I just made 2 wire feeders to hold nuts for the woodpeckers, etc this morning. Otherwise I have 2 finch feeders, 2 suet and 4 feeders.

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I used to....before kids and remodel and everything else I have going on. I plan on putting up a couple of feeders sometime and getting back to feding them. They are great to watch.
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Originally posted by John Hunter
            My grandson informed me that a finch has moved into the bird house he built with me a few weeks ago.
            Hi John,

Are those the goldfinches? We have them on our feeders, but haven't had any set up home.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Does anyone have the pileated woodpecker? We don't have them here, but we lived in central Indiana for 5 years, and had some there. Those things are a real sight, especially when they're drilling into a tree stump. Here's a link to them: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ecker_dtl.html

Ed

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

We have a pair of cardinals set up low in one of our fir trees. Mrs Cardinal was keeping a beady eye on me as I mowed underneath the nest today. If I can can close enough tomorrow with a camera I'll see what I can get.

Apart from that we have a bush full of catbirds but I cant see the nest.
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

The Boss does. We get a lot of Cardinals, an occasional bluejay, and I saw the first Woodpecker a couple of days ago.

She also loves her Hummingbirds.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• jziegler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Salem, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've got a bird feeder in the garden. It really keeps the (indoor) cats entertained. I've been seeing more blackbirds than anything else. I've seen a few cardinals, assorted other birds (I'm not all that good at recognizing the birds).

Jim

Comment

• Thom2
                      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Stevens, PA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

Hummingbirds for us ... we put up a feeder kinda late last year not really expecting much, we were pleasantly surprised with the activity. This year we've had one up for a few weeks and I just saw my first one this weekend, now the wife is looking at doing her hanging baskets with flowers that'll also attract them.
                      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• warrenp
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Kentucky, USA.

We have our feeder next to the tv room window. We spend as much time watching the birds as tv sometimes.

And we also saw the grosbeak for the first time this year. They seem to be gone now. We also have been visited by downy woodpeckers. (We actually have a shopmade wood sunflower seed feeder, a suet feeder and a squirrel proof feeder for regular bird seed on the same steel pole.) And the blue jays are the funniest when we put out peanuts on the top feeder. They will fly in about a minute apart, grab a peanut, fly straight to the ground and hide it under a leaf and head back for another. I keep expecting peanut plants to start growing any day.

Anyhow...I am attaching a pic of our visiting grosbeak. Nice thread...thanks.

Warren
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

Let's see. We have a thistle feeder, a suet feeder and 1,2,3,4,5,6 regular feeders. Oh, and two more out back. LOML also tosses seed in the grass so we literally have birds all over the lawn.

We get cardinals, blue jays, black birds, pigeons, finches, woodpeckers, etc. etc. and the occasional squirrel hanging from a feeder.

We have planted several "butterfly" bushes and honeysuckels so the hummingbirds and hummingbird moths have something to snack on and if we get enough traffic, we have feeders for them too.

LOML also puts out corn and apples for the deer, and lettuce for the rabbits. We have a fox that pays the occasional visit. And she even makes sure that the field mice and chipmonks get something to eat. I'm starting to think that her name is the filipino equivalent of Elly May Clampet.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Liberty, SC, USA.
                            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Ed62
                            Does anyone have the pileated woodpecker? We don't have them here, but we lived in central Indiana for 5 years, and had some there. Those things are a real sight, especially when they're drilling into a tree stump. Here's a link to them: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ecker_dtl.html

Ed
                            We do Ed, last year one pair 'nested' in a diseased Sweetgum in the back yard. So far they aren't back. A couple of weeks ago I stepped out of the shop and a movement in the woods out back caught my eye. It was a woody on a dead Pine tree. This was the biggest one I've seen, at least 2 ft. wing span. Around here the ole timers called them Wood Hens, due to the sound they make at times, when alarmed I think.

Comment

• dlminehart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • San Jose, CA, USA.

We have a couple bluejays in the back yard that I'll have to dislodge. They raid all the other nests and have decimated the backyard bird population. I'd like to buy a pellet gun . . .
                              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...